My Picks: Nordstrom Anniversary Saleshopping tips
The Nordstrom Anniversary sale is here! This is my favorite time of year to shop because the deals are so good and you can’t usually find the same pieces come fall. I always use this sale to get leather goods, higher-end sweaters, blazers and jackets, and to stock up on essentials like tights and underpinnings. As a Nordstrom Cardholder I can shop now; for those who don’t have the card you can apply to shop immediately or check out a preview and make a wishlist for July 17th. Some of the things that have caught my eye:
I know some don’t love leather like I do, so go ahead and keep scrolling. But this is by far my favorite part of the Anniversary Sale and the one category where I have seen awesome styles and they have sold out before the sale has even ended. If any look good to you, order ASAP before they’re gone!
- Halogen is my go-to for buttery soft leather in styles that are on trend by wearable for more than a season. This skirt is a perfect example. Black leather, a-line, with a front pleat, this is the kind of leather skirt you could wear to the office. Style with a cashmere turtleneck, a silk blouse, or even a chunky cableknit. $164.90 is an insanely great price especially since I know Halogen leather skirts (I own two). Leather stretches, if unsure size down. May take a wear or two at home to stretch to its final perfect size. The same skirt is available in plus up to 24W for $185.90.
- I am dying over this leather “trucker” jacket from Treasure&Bond. I’m a sucker for leather jackets inspired by their denim cousins, and I’m having a hard time choosing whether the black or the olive is the best color choice. Can’t resist such a cute leather jacket for under $200!
- Oh wow, this leather sheath dress from Halogen is gorgeous! A few knit panels to give a great shape, a classic fit but an interesting asymmetrical seam and front slit keep it from looking ordinary. Winterize it with a cashmere sweater coat and opaque tights, style it over a think knit turtleneck, or rock it with booties and a denim jacket. Under $200 and available in petite and regular sizes up to 16.
- I have a camel leather jacket and love how it’s as versatile as black but a bit softer, more elegant. This collarless leather jacket from Halogen could replace a blazer for the office and would look quite chic paired with cream and gray, yet also work for the weekend with jeans. I have a Halogen leather jacket and it’s soft, well made, and looks far more expensive than even its regular sale price. Regular and petite sizes up to XL/16 and under $200.
- Another collarless leather jacket from Halogen, but this one is trimmed in suede for a completely different look. In brown or black, this jacket too can transition from the office to the weekend to a night out with ease. Regular and petites up to XL under $200. The same jacket is available in black in plus sizes 14-24 for $225.90.
- I have wanted a drape collar leather jacket like this one from Trouve for quite a while. I have many pieces from Trouve and think they have great style and shape. Now whether to get it in black, camel, or gray! Ribbed sleeve panels provide a comfortable fit, and make this a jacket that could work great in place of a blazer or cardigan. Usually $328, on sale for less than $220.
- Gosh I love this dress from Sejour – leather bodice with a cute little collar and a softly pleated chiffon skirt. That perfect mix of tough and sweet! Available in two colors and available in sizes 14W-24W, it’s amazing to find real leather in a dress for less than $170! Switch up the look by adding an obi-inspired or wide belt in a contrast color!
- Another great piece from Halogen is this mixed media shell. Leather front and sides, ponte knit back with exposed zipper, and crepe-like shirttail. A top like this makes any bottom suddenly a chic outfit. Wear with jeans and a pair of pumps for a night out, style with an ivory or white pantsuit for a super chic ensemble, wear over a white collared shirt, style for three seasons of the year with ease and I bet each time you wear it people will compliment it. $99.90.
- This leather pencil skirt has cool zip details that are black like the skirt so it doesn’t look too wild to be styled for a more creative office. Wear for Date Night with a crepe or silk tee, for work with opaque tights and booties. By Halogen, this skirt is $164.90 yet looks far more expensive and will be a statement in your closet for years to come. Regular and petite sizes up to 16.
Now is the time to get that versatile dress that you can wear to your company’s networking cocktail event, a holiday party, or an evening wedding. Choose well, switch up accessories, and likely you can attend every event on your social calendar with one frock!
- This is a jumpsuit, not a dress but it’s really easy to dress up and down like a frock. How do I know? I own it, and you can see me wear it here. $85.90 is a steal, says the woman who has worn hers to a 40th birthday, a wedding, a date night, a bachelorette party, and a blogger event. Oh, and you can pee in it!
- This black crepe dress from Eliza J is simple, classic, and flattering without being boring. Cap sleeves make it appropriate year-round, strategic seaming and an exposed back zipper add interest, and it’s fully lined to give great drape. A true desk to drinks dress with a quick change of accessories, and under $100.
- This seamed ponte dress from Halogen is perfection. The short sleeves make it work now and can also transition to fall, the v-neck makes it flattering under cardigans and blazers, and the great seaming whittles the waist. Regular and petite up to 16 and four colors to choose from for $65.90.
- I love the scalloped neck and sleeves of this crepe dress from Adrianna Papell and love how this could be worn to the office or dressed up with accessories for an evening affair. Under $95 and in plus sizes 14-24.
- Don’t you step on my blue suede… dress? OMG hot hot hot! Gorgeous color, and super flattering fit and flare shape. How cute would this be with a crisp white shirt underneath? Or a black knit turtleneck and opaque tights? From Sejour in plus sizes 14-24 and while it’s usually around $350 right now it’s on sale for $232.90.
- This fit and flare dress is a must. The fabric can go from day to night, summer to winter with ease. Fully lined, available in two great colors, regular and petite is $104.90, the plus size version is $111.90.
- Almost every gal looks great in a wrap dress; this one has plenty of fabric at the neckline to prevent showing too much, an adjustable waist for a custom fit, comes in three colors and costs less than $80. The plus size version comes only in black for $84.90 and in my opinion, looks better on this model than the smaller sized one.
Now is the time to buy those fall and winter shoes you’ll need. Boots are at a steep discount during this sale and while the idea of wearing them now may sound dreadful, you’ll be glad to have them in your closet come October!
- The Vince Camuto ‘Maves’ bootie is the perfect sort boot to slip over leggings or skinny jeans, pair with cuffed boyfriend jeans, or slip under bootcuts. Wood heel, suede finish, and four colors available makes this the perfect weekend shoe. On sale for $104.90, I am partial to the olive which would look gorgeous against denim!
- The ‘Clara’ bootie from MICHAEL Michael Kors has a leg-lengthening pointed toe, 3” slender heel, cool zipper detail and would look great with skirts, trousers, as well as denim. On sale for $119.90.
- A really nice full grain leather boot from Lucky Brand, three colors available, and on sale under $140. I could see the ‘Heloisse’ being a boot I’d reach for almost every day all winter long.
- Aquatalia makes utterly gorgeous and elegant leather boots that are also waterproof. Their footwear is an investment, but a wise one when dealing with rain, snow, and slush of the colder months. Their ‘Gianna’ in black calf leather is classic, sophisticated, and incredibly versatile. Slip over leggings or skinny jeans, pair with a pencil skirt, or wear under a ‘70s-inspired midi skirt.
- If you find most wellies and tall rain boots too tight for your calves, a shortie boot like this one from Hunter is perfect. I have a similar boot and like the ability to wear under dress pants or tuck in my jeans. I like that these are under $150 and a subtle classic color that won’t stand out.
- Hello, beautiful. I adore these knee-high riding boots from Louise et Cie. Gorgeous leather in two colors, an elegant classic style, and little details like a metal rand… it’s crazy to have these available for less than $180!
- The Frye ‘Harness’ has been a chic boot for many years and will be for many to come. The ‘Carson Harness’ is a mid-calf in distressed cognac leather that is just so yummy. $259.90 is a great price for a great boot you’ll wear for many years.
- A waterproof snowboot under $65 and named after a great Maryland city? I couldn’t NOT include it! The ‘Baltimore’ from Kamik will have you ready for whatever Mother Nature throws our way this winter; take your choice of gray or black.
Coats and Jackets
While you may be sweating while reading this, before you know it there will be a chill in the air. Prepare by buying now on sale and on trend for the fall and winter.
- This baby from MICHAEL Michael Kors is pretty much the perfect trenchcoat. Single breasted to better flatter, detachable hood with a drawcord to keep you dry even on blustery days, removeable liner to control your warmth, machine washable and dryable, available in four colors and regular and petite sizes up to XL. On sale for $129.90 when regularly goes for more than $200.
- This ponte knit coat from Vince Camuto has a vintage vibe and would make for the perfect fall topper. Available in ivory and a gorgeous traffic-stopping vermillion with bold black buttons, this would look great on the weekend with denim but also quite lovely over dresses and skirts; on sale for less than $200 yet it looks far more expensive.
- Doesn’t everyone need a leopard print faux fur coat? This collarless style from Steve Madden would look downtown cool with jeans but also work as a topper over cocktail dresses. Less than $100 and sizes up to XL. Also available in plus sizes for under $120.
- I wasn’t sure where to put this lined topper from Halogen. It could be a lightweight jacket for fall, paired with a pashmina. It could be a casual blazer for the office, styled with slimmer trousers and a silk blouse. Or it could be worn on the weekend in place of a sweater coat, styled with a Breton tee and jeans. All that versatility, available in five colors and regular and petite sizes up to XL/16 and under $90.
- A lighter-weight and more classic trench than the MICHAEL Michael Kors one, this trench from Trouve is simple and elegant and begging to be worn on those days that need just a light layer. Three awesome colors and a hint of stretch make this under $100 jacket a must-see.
- Packable down outerwear is my jam; it’s lightweight, it can stand a beating, yet it still keeps you toasty warm. This water-repellant packable down sweater jacket from Patagonia comes in four colors and is begging to be stuffed in your carryon for a cold-weather getaway. You can feel better about your down purchase knowing that it’s made with ethically sourced goose down that's 100% traceable from birds that are never live-plucked and never force-fed. Regularly $229, on sale for $170.90.
- More packable down, this time with a hood and some bum coverage. I have outerwear from Bernardo and they’re well-made and well-shaped to flatter a woman’s curves. This is a mix of down and PrimaLoft, is machine washable, and under $150. The plus size version is $179.90.
Trousers, skirts, blouses, and jackets are always needed, might as well stock up while the prices are nice. With a sale like this you can get higher-end pieces for reasonable prices or spend less on favorite brands to save up for custom tailoring!
- These stretch wool trousers from Lafayette 148 New York are classic elegance. Available in regular and petite sizes up to 18 and in five different colors, they are usually $238 but on sale for less than $160. My experience with this brand is the quality usually lives up to the pricetag and the cuts are trendless making them a wardrobe staple for seasons to come.
- Raving reviews for pants appropriate for the office yet as comfortable as loungewear AND on sale for under $50? Sign me up! The ponte knit ankle pants from Vince Camuto come in regular and petite sizes up to 16 and two classic colors.
- The Halogen Seamed Pencil Skirt has been a Nordstrom Anniversary Sale staple for many years and for good reason. The skirt is awesome. I have it in two colors and find it to be of great quality and fit. Regular and petite sizes up to 16 and seven colors to choose from all under $50.
- It’s hard to find a great work pant in petite plus, even harder to find one that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. This pant from Sejour comes in 14W-24W petite and regular lengths and five colors.
- Another great basic work pant is the ‘Taylor’ from Halogen. Halogen also offers a variety of pieces in their ‘Taylor’ collection throughout the year, often on sale, so you can pull together a good variety of jackets and bottoms that mix and match nicely. These pants have a nice smooth wide waistband that isn’t bulky under fitted untucked knits; available in five colors and petite and regular sizes, right now on sale for less than $50.
- Pleione makes budget-friendly and figure-flattering tops great for the office and this wrap-style one is no different. Seven different colors and prints available up to XL/16 and only $42.90.
- Wide leg-flat front trousers look great with soft floaty blouses and fitted knits. These from Chelsea28 give the Katharine Hepburn vibe in three classic colors and one gorgeous teal that is begging to be in my closet. $58.90.
Jeans, tees, and sweaters are weekend mainstays. Save on these casual classics and add some new fall and winter trends to your closet!
- You can see me wearing the Paley Bootcut jeans from JAG in this post; to score these under $50 is a fabulous deal. Regular and petite up to size 16; my experience is these run a bit loose so if in doubt size down.
- I also have the Peri Straight Leg jean from JAG and also love the pull-on waistband, quality denim, and comfortable fit. These run a bit more true to size, especially if you have sturdy thighs like me. Also available in regular and petite sizes up to 16 and also on sale under $50.
- I have a pair of Lysse leggings and think they’re amazing. Really high quality, completely opaque even if you bend over, a high rise that prevents muffin top, and comfortable tummy control. They wash great, mine have been thrown even in the dryer with jeans and they still are richly colored and free of pills. Five colors and fits up to a size 18.
- Gosh I am loving this open cashmere cardigan from Nordstrom. It’s very similar to many pieces I have in my winter wardrobe that get so much wear – style for the office, wear with jeans for the weekend, use as a topper over dresses on chilly nights, and grab it to snuggle on the couch on a chilly evening. Four colors available and hello quality cashmere under $100!
- Last winter I LIVED in my puffer vest; while it was great on brisk fall days it often was just part of my winter outfit, adding warmth plus style. Considering switching it out this year for a faux shearling for the same concept but more of a ski lodge vibe, wearing over cableknits and plaid flannels. This one from Two by Vince Camuto is darling and the $112.90 price is nice for a brand I’ve come to know for quality. Also available in plus sizes.
- My friend swears by Citizens of Humanity jeans as being some of the best quality and fit she has ever experienced. Their ‘Arielle’ jean is a mid-rise skinny in a great color that will become a denim favorite; usually priced over $200 these jeans are on sale for $138.90.
- Loungewear with style, my utter favorite. Sure we all want to hang out in sweats, but it’s extra nice when those sweats have a cool cut, fit, or detail. This oversized turtleneck tunic from Madison & Berkeley is just that, with a funky high/low shirttail hem (great for pairing with leggings) and a slouchy neck. Four color available for just $31.90.
- I love NYDJ, and the ‘Billie’ mini bootcut jean is a classic and flattering cut. In a crisp dark wash, this is a must-have in your wardrobe. 14W – 24W for less than $90.
Control garments, bras, undies, tights, and socks… now is the time to buy them at incredible prices. Luckily most of the items on sale have plenty of reviews to help you choose well, but don’t be afraid to branch out and try new brands as Nordstrom offers free shipping and free returns!
- I always stock up on socks during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and in previous years I have bought these exact knee socks. They’re soft, durable, hold their shape, hold their color, and the long length keeps them from sliding down (and also adds a bit more warmth in winter). Four colors to choose from and only $5.90 a pair.
- The DKNY ‘Lace Curves’ Shaping Brief is my very favorite every day control garment. It’s very subtle control, just smooths, comfortable all day, doesn’t cling to fabrics, and the retro style is far prettier than all the “scary pants” on the market. Every Anniversary Sale I buy another in each color to replace those that stretched out with multiple wears throughout the year. $13.90
- The Hanky Panky Retro Thong is the only thong I wear. The “retro” fit makes it a higher rise, which makes it sit nicely on my hips, not roll under my belly, and not give a mega wedgie. Oh, and it’s also super pretty. $17.90, I always pick up one or two each sale.
- The Hanky Panky Retro Vikini is a similar fit to the thong, but with a full back. It’s super comfortable and sexier than solid briefs. This is my everyday underwear that goes under jeans and dresses; when sale comes around I snag a couple in fun colors. $21.90.
The sale has a ton of gorgeous bags on sale, as well as jewelry, scarves and more. Below are my personal faves:
- I love my Mini M.A.C. from Rebecca Minkoff; the perfect size to carry all your essentials, transitions from shoulder to crossbody bag with ease, and I think the quality is quite good. Black and ash available in the quilted style for under $150.
- This cuff from Nordstrom comes in silver and gold and looks a LOT like my silver cuff, but for less than $40! I own Nordstrom costume jewelry and the quality is stellar.
- I’m a sucker for fringe, especially for a bag. This suede bucket from Patricia Nash comes in two soft neutrals and is big enough to hold all your necessary purse contents without being a burden. Interior and exterior pockets and an adjustable crossbody strap; style it with boots and a little dress for a night out, or a chunky cream sweater and jeans for the weekend. Regularly priced around $200, on sale for $132.90.
- The M.A.B. tote from Rebecca Minkoff is a classic, and a bag I regularly recommend to those looking for a stylish work tote. Enough room for a laptop without weighing a ton, low on hardware and logos to look great for years to come, and currently on sale for less than $200.
- I love Brahmin bags, and I cannot lie. This wallet is for to die (sorry, I was on a roll….). I love the blue but the other colors are quite lovely too. Plenty of space for all your cards while remaining streamlined and remaining under $60.
- And if you’d like a bag to match your lovely Brahmin wallet, their ‘West Lake’ crossbody is a perfect size, clean simple look, and on sale for less than $150.
- Oh this scarf from Kate Spade is so pretty, it’s a statement piece that would transform most any look or winter coat. The beige/white/black version is quite versatile but the Aster is a delicious color that would add a cheery note to fall and winter looks and complement brights as well as neutrals. Usually almost $100, on sale for $64.90.
- Nothing nicer to snuggle up to on a cold winter day than cashmere! This oversized cashmere scarf from Nordstrom comes in three classic colors and will fill up the collar of your coat with plenty to wrap around your face against the chill. Regularly almost $200, on sale for $129.90. I own Nordstrom cashmere scarves and find them very high quality and quite durable.
- This beaded multi-cord necklace from Tasha is pretty awesome and would make any outfit of basics look like a creative ensemble. Available in five different colors and only $31.90.
- A popular designer has a clutch almost identical to this one and the same price is in the hundreds; get the look for less with this one from Halogen for only $64.90 and have your pick of three great colors.