What I Wore: Resister Sister

Saturday was the March for our Lives. I would have loved to be there. I am agast at how our government is worried more about money than the lives of its residents and wished to be one of the hundreds of thousands who protested that day. But my daughter had her karate tournament, and her participation determined whether she could move up a belt at her next test. After the tournament I ran a few errands, and then she and I headed to her (belated) Girl Scout World Thinking Day. While I couldn't be in DC, I could be there in spirit and show it.

Shirt: Otherwild (L) | Blazer: c/o cabi (14 and from last year; similar, plus size option) | Jeans: Banana Republic (32S) | Belt: Ann Taylor (XL) | Shoes: Rothy's | Bag: Hobo | Sunglasses: Ray-Ban | bracelet: Metal Marvels

In this blog post's comments, reader Tara shared this t-shirt from Otherwild and I fell in love. I ordered one for me, and one for my sister, a fellow resister. I also got this shirt for Emerson, which was recently seen on Instagram. I love that a portion of these shirts goes to charities I support like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood. While I wear plenty of my political t-shirts to the gym, they can also be dressed up for the weekend.  Adding a stretchy ponte blazer and stretchy pointed-toe flats provides polish without sacrificing comfort. Jeans regularly stretch out on me throughout the day; wearing a belt helps them stay up and stay the right shape.  I swear by a Beltaway under tops, but when tucked in I like a bit of a statement.  I got this belt from Ann Taylor a few months ago, and I'm not ashamed to admit I have a handful of animal printed calfhair belts in various prints and widths with different metal hardware. One look through my archives can show all the varieties I have! Leopard is a neutral, right? The calfhair means it coordinates with leather, suede, and other material shoes and bags, and adds texture and interest.

I was thrilled to encounter so many people throughout my day who commented on my shirt and how it started many important conversations. There's nothing more stylish than speaking up for what you believe in.

Shop the Look:

A portion of the profits made from Wardrobe Oxygen has been donated to Everytown for Gun Safety.

43 Comments

1. Kristin
    April 7, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Resist what exactly? Lower taxes, growing economy, jobs, success? Another liberal blogger i am happy to #resist!

2. Sam
    March 27, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Oh no, talking about what you believe in on your own blog — the horror! I wonder if Shana and Claudia (who I think are the same person) write angry comments on fashion blogs where the blogger Features a designer concealed carry purse..

• March 28, 2018 / 5:47 pm

They’re different people (drastically different locations per their IP). And LOL to your comment! 🙂

3. Laurie
    March 27, 2018 / 7:06 pm

I love the shirt. I wish that more fashion and lifestyle bloggers would be as upfront about their political beliefs as you are. Knowing that someone doesn’t believe what I do will not necessarily lead me to stop following, but when I read some blogs, I find myself thinking, “Who is this person? Why isn’t she acknowledging ANY of the news of the day?” You come across as a real person not as a product designed in an advertising or SEO lab to garner the most page views.

4. Wendy
    March 27, 2018 / 1:50 pm

I support every word in this post. #resist

5. Maia
    March 27, 2018 / 7:10 am

Hey Allie! I love this shirt and want to get one myself and for a friend for her birthday. I was wondering about the fit, though. Do you think it fits true to size or does it run small or large?

• March 27, 2018 / 7:26 am

This is a large and I think it fits true to size to other unisex shirts I’ve bought. It’s a nice soft jersey, not stiff which also helps with the fit!

6. Nadine
    March 26, 2018 / 8:43 pm

Good for you! Supporting sensible gun reforms is not “talking politics” as much as is simply continuing to express basic values consistent with how you live you life. I’ve been regularly reading your blog for many years and feel like you’ve really been free to show your true self since leaving your other job. I love how you’ve been showcasing your style within the context of an authentic life.

7. Lee
    March 26, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Love, love, love that shirt & just may need to get my own! Thanks for sharing that & thanks for caring about our country & being willing to talk about it. I’ve been reading your blog for years now & have always appreciated you for this. A woman’s place is in the Resistance!!

8. Claudia
    March 26, 2018 / 7:00 pm

I am so sick of bloggers talking politics. If I wanted to read about politics I’d read a newspaper. I will be unsubscribing from your blog effective immediately. I am disappointed I have been a reader for a while.

• March 26, 2018 / 7:55 pm

If you’ve been a reader for a while this post shouldn’t come by surprise. I am pretty vocal about my beliefs and this isn’t the first time or the last time I will share them. My best to you, I know there is another blog out there that will be a better fit for you.

• ClaraT
        March 28, 2018 / 5:42 pm

Awsome response. I appreciate your fashion *and* and your attitude! Enough is enough.

• abby
      March 27, 2018 / 1:05 am

good riddance to people criticizing you for speaking up.

Proud of you, Ali! You are a strong woman with opinions and beliefs. Your are entitled to showcase them here. I read here because you are not just a “fashion blogger.”

9. Shana
    March 26, 2018 / 6:46 pm

I liked you for your fashion advice. If I wanted to see the same Resist propaganda that every other person is writing about, I’d go there. Do your advertising sponsors know you’re pushing a political agenda?

• March 26, 2018 / 7:02 pm

Yes, they know. I make it very clear on this site and social media my political views. I am surprised any anyone who isn’t aware of my beliefs, I state them on a regular basis on all my channels. It is a part of me, just like being a parent, a wife, where I live, and affects my personal style.

• abby
        March 27, 2018 / 1:05 am

ROCK ON, LADY! 🙂

• Shana
        March 27, 2018 / 6:42 am

Great. I will reach out to them and let them know my friends and I will not be using their products since you choose to alienate half your audience. I also find it ironic that you choose to pedal $500 leather bags while complaining about having to pay for your own mammogram. Who exactly do you expect to pay for your healthcare while you’re paying for your daily personal trainer and spending weekends in luxury hotels?

• March 27, 2018 / 6:53 am

I wish you peace. I recommend not hate reading blogs and hate following on Instagram as a start. I did that in the past and realized how much it negatively affected all aspects of my life. <3

• Courtney
      March 26, 2018 / 7:03 pm

Her sponsors presumably read her blog, which included a great post over a year ago on preparing for the Women’s March. Don’t concern troll Allie by suggesting that her sponsors will respond negatively to this post.

10. Tracy
    March 26, 2018 / 5:58 pm

Appreciate your support of Everytown for Gun Safety.

11. Tara
    March 26, 2018 / 3:08 pm

Reader Tara here and HOORAY! I wore mine to the march in Seattle, too. It looks great on you and you were marching in spirit–and frankly it’s the literal and figurative marching we will be doing going forward that really matter! In my mind it’s my Sister Resister shirt–fun that it works both ways. Loved that you sassed it up so beautifully and that it sparked good conversations. 🙂

• March 26, 2018 / 7:03 pm

Thank you again for introducing me to the shirt and to Otherwild and thank you for marching!

• Tara
        March 27, 2018 / 12:37 pm

My pleasure! I’ve bought several things upon your recommendation so happy to return the favor for once. And thank you for being you! Fashion can be fun, but it is also a way to reflect ourselves out to the world. I enjoy your blog for many reasons, not the least of which is that you are 150% authentic. Keep on keeping on, and have a great week!

12. Renee
    March 26, 2018 / 3:07 pm

Love this shirt!!! Will buy one..maybe two!! I marched in the S.F Bay Area: kids, parents, grand parents, great grandparents…all ethnic groups represented. Very inspiring! Here here to the Parkland Kids!!
    Love your blog!

• March 26, 2018 / 7:04 pm

Fantastic, thank you for marching!

13. Michelle
    March 26, 2018 / 1:12 pm

Love the shirt and links.

14. LJ
    March 26, 2018 / 12:06 pm

Love your blog. Including this post. One point of information for you. Everytown has a poor track record of working with local organizers. For example, they didn’t work with local domestic violence folks when they came into MN and some of the legal reforms definitely don’t make domestic violence victims safer.

• March 26, 2018 / 7:05 pm

I didn’t know that, thank you LJ for informing me. Each month I choose a different charity to donate to and will choose a different one for April. If you have suggestions I would love them, I’ve found some amazing organizations to support thanks to readers like you!

15. March 26, 2018 / 9:33 am

just to share another company who sells shirts I think you’d dig, check out Wire and Honey.

They are based in Baltimore.
    All of their shirts send amazing messages — mostly kids stuff, but they carry some adult stuff too.
    And every month, they choose a different charity to donate to.
    WIN-WIN-WIN !!!

• March 26, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Oooh awesome thank you so much for sharing this!

16. Amber
    March 26, 2018 / 9:07 am

What is that nail color? I need cool reds like that one, I always manage to pick something too orange.

• March 26, 2018 / 7:06 pm

This is OPI’s Big Apple Red, a fave (on my toes too!)