This article may contain affiliate links; if you click on a shopping link and make a purchase I may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jaden Smith (Will's son) has a sneaker collab with New Balance and Vision Street Wear claims them to be counterfeits. (The Fashion Law)
Cuddl Duds is creating scrubs (say that five times fast). (Refinery29)
Love the fashion from the BBC series ‘Killing Eve'? Soon you may be able to buy a fashion line inspired by it. (Dazed)
Sorry to hear that fashion brand Cushnie is shuttering. (Elle)
I am also sad to hear of the closing of the boutique Betsy Fisher. Betsy Fisher was where all the powerful women of DC (and those of us who loved some power and style in their wardrobe) went to shop. (freeReign)
The 2000's are back, back again. Von Dutch, Juicy, Baby Phat… even Sketchers now has a “heritage collection.” (Coveteur)
From the Mailbox
“Can you recommend a lightweight jogger/loungewear set to wear around the house that 1) doesn't shrink in the wash, and 2) has roommate-level coverage for the girls?”
I received this request on Instagram and I have heard from a few of you living in the warmer US states that you desire similar. Here are a few I have found that look cute, don't have you all on display, and won't cause you to overheat:
- Soma is one of my favorite places for loungewear because the quality is awesome. Things don't shrink even if you want them to! I have these pants and they're a fabulous fabric that isn't too heavy and feels good on. There is a matching jacket/wrap thingie as well as this pullover. I also love Soma's jogger, which isn't as heavy as a pair of sweats and wears like iron.
- Universal Standard has three styles of joggers and all the pairs get rave reviews on their site, in Facebook groups, and from WO2 readers. I don't own a pair… yet. They're always sold out in my size; I sign up to be notified when they're back in stock and when I get the email and click on the site they're sold out again! But they're lightweight and soft and fabulous and don't shrink and from what I heard, totally worth the money. I'd say the most popular are the Hathaway Joggers with the Cooper Joggers in a close second. The Bridget gets mixed reviews for the waistband but the fabric is still soft and not too heavy.
- Talbots has a line called T by Talbots and while some pieces aren't my style, their joggers are quite lovely and a lightweight terry that is comfortable even if it's in the 70s. I like that these come in a variety of colors and petite and petite plus sizes. I never have issue with Talbots shrinking in the wash.
- Lou & Grey has a Signature collection that is known for being buttery soft and relatively lightweight. They have this softblend sweatshirt and matching sweatpants that are incredibly popular and come in a nice size range; I also like their upstate sweatpants and matching pullover. I haven't tried this set but reviews say they wash up well.
- Gap has a jogger called Pure Body and the fabric is soft and lightweight. Reviews say they're uber comfy and stylish enough to be worn out of the house. Again I haven't tried, but the reviews make me think these are a safe bet even after being washed.
If you have any suggestions for this person that aren't above, do share in the comments!
Metal Marvels, a brand I shared in my feminist gift guide, is having an early Black Friday sale today through Sunday. It's up to 70% off, no codes needed, prices on the site. This is a US-based woman-owned small business full of great gift ideas for so many people on your list (and fun things to treat yourself too!)
REALM Fine + Fashion Jewelry has their friends & family sale this weekend. Get 25% off your entire purchase through Sunday with promo code FF25. You can see all the times I've worn REALM jewelry at this link. REALM is jewelry designed by Ann King Lagos and is based in Philadelphia.
Deciem, the company that creates the cult-favorite (and wallet favorite) skincare brand The Ordinary is offering 23% off everything on their site for the month of November. It's in protest of Black Friday and it's a great time to get highly-rated skincare for a fab price. I have had mixed experiences with The Ordinary; I do think their oils are a great value. Here is my review of The Ordinary's Lactic Acid which I also like.
Gap has their friends & family sale going on this weekend with 40% off using promo code FRIEND. I love this one-piece though I really wish it came in more sizes, and think this sweater is beautiful. If you're looking for family pajamas, Gap has a great selection.
Talbots has this weekend only, 40% off select fall styles available at this link. If you are looking for suiting or sweaters, you MUST check out this sale. While there is plenty of other items available, I was floored by the amazing prices on suiting separates and the extensive sweater selection on sale.
- The pink coat I own (see in this post) is part of this sale as is this Italian wool lady coat that I have in last year's color (see in this post)
- The jeans I keep raving about are on sale (see them in this post and this work from home capsule wardrobe)
- The purple sweater seen in that same capsule and this post is also on sale
- If you're looking for a WFH or office sweater, may I suggest this one or this one, both which were top sellers for WO2 last month. I also like this sweater blazer.
- And while there is a lot of suiting, I owned this blazer and these pants and it's an elegant timeless pantsuit.
What I Bought and What I Thought
This week is so… much that I'm struggling to remember what happened this week, what happened last week, and what was just a fever dream. Only me? I doubt it. So let's see if I can recall what I bought or received:
- Pixi Beauty sent me a few of their Vitamin C products and I gave all but one to a follower on Instagram as a gift (this week was rough, giveaways make it better). I kept the Vitamin C lip balm, intrigued by the idea of brightening and subtle color while hydrating lips. I love you Pixi, but I do not love this lip balm. It is very waxy feeling, didn't really hydrate, and didn't leave any color at all. It's pretty… it has that Pixi green case and the lip balm is a rose color with a citrus-colored core but I am not a fan. That being said I seem to be in the minority? I was surprised by the reviews at Target.
- Peloton finally sent me my century shirt! When you reach 100 rides on the Peloton bike, you get this shirt. My husband got his email with his free shirt code about a week after his 100th ride, I waited a few weeks, never got it so I emailed them. And finally, after 165 rides, it came. I got a size Large, and this shirt is nice. No cheap stiff cotton, it has a nice shape even for unisex and the cotton is silky. And it feels awesome to wear it knowing the accomplishments I've achieved since buying a Peloton.
- Thinking that holidays in this year of the ‘demic will be less about sequined dresses and more about tabletop dressing for comfort and Zooms, I bought Halloween earrings, some sparkly skeletons from BaubleBar. Totally worth it – beautiful, not too heavy, so fun, will wear again next year. And to prepare for winter, I got these earrings. Also super cute, well made, not too heavy. If they aren't your thing, Baublebar has so many festive earrings, bracelets, and other accessories and they're not all Christmas themed either.
- Speaking of the Peloton, it's important to wipe down the bike after each ride to protect the bike and keep it from getting stinky from sweat. Researching what to use, many said Clorox wipes, but those are worth more than gold these days. Others said personal wipes or baby wipes so we used up all of those that we had on hand from our travel kits and such. But once we ran out we wanted to use a spray with reusable rags so we could reduce waste. We tried a couple of sprays, some were sticky, some smelled horrible, and on the Peloton Reddit, someone recommended this spray. Not full of scary chemicals, not a strong scent, no stickiness, and it can also be used on helmets and shoes and all sorts of other funky stinky things!
Hi. Just want to share that I got a couple of long sleeve super soft T-shirt’s from lou and grey a few years ago and they piled almost immediately. Would love other ideas for great layering t-shirts. Jcrew used to carry a bunch but no longer. Thanks so much. Laura
Alison Gary says
Ugh, I too have had mixed experiences with Lou & Grey. Have you tried Universal Standard’s Foundation collection? I love the fabric for layering. The long sleeve is a bit too long in the sleeve for me (but most long sleeves are) but the short sleeve crew and the turtleneck are my JAM and I have three of each. https://imp.i240138.net/QaPjA
Judy Dempsey says
Love the cup!
Alison Gary says
LOL it’s one of my favorites! I have one from the Obama administration that says Cup of Joe with his face on it, that one is my favorite!
I have this jumpsuit from the Gap, and it is so comfy! Not sure I’d wear it outdoors, but it is a nice piece for inside.
Alison Gary says
That looks so comfy!
I have the Cooper joggers from US and I love the fit and fabric, but they have not washed up well. If you have a higher end washer, you would probably be fine, but with our rental unit washer, there is definite wear on the fabric even after being washed only a few times. I have never dried them and there is still wear. They are sooo comfy and otherwise my favorite pants, but I would definitely not pay full price.
Alison Gary says
Oh no that’s unfortunate. Thank you for letting s know!
Ordered the GAP joggers – I need more things in which I can work out, work from home, and run errands – in the same day.
Alison Gary says
Let me know what you think of them!
Emily Maduzia says
The Livi Active brand at Lane Bryant is usually really good, and they have some really cute joggers and comfy clothes right now.
Alison Gary says
Thank you for this suggestion! For others who are curious, here’s a link to Livi Active: https://shopstyle.it/l/bodIc
Those earrings are so fun! I might have to order some for next year.
I second your joggers recommendations. Both the US and the Soma. They’re comfortable, look nice and wash well.
Now I just need to find a Talbots. I’m looking for a pair of flare jeans. Those look really nice. The reviews online are mixed but they’re absolutely my vibe. Another place I would to think to look for great jeans.
Alison Gary says
Yeah, and the reviews on those jeans skew wildly by wash. I dunno, I love them. I wore them yesterday evening with my Universal Standard Foundation turtleneck, chunky boots, and a vintage leather belt (and hoops of course!) and felt fierce.