I didn't plan on writing a sale picks post for the Nordstrom Winter Sale. But then reader Alexis emailed me asking my opinion on a few things, I started digging around the sale, and found some amazing items at amazing prices. Much is winter stuff Nordstrom's trying to get off their hands, but mixed in are some great year-round pieces and plenty for spring and summer. My picks:
I tried to steer clear of specific trends, looking more for items that will work for the remainder of this winter but still be chic come fall. A few spring and summer goodies also mixed in.
- COACH makes great shoes. Stylish, classic, well-crafted. This ankle bootie is the perfect style for pants, jeans, skirts, and dresses. The mixed media is subtle, just enough to provide interest without being too obvious or trendy. Choose black or brown, on sale for less than $100.
- COACH also has this perfect nude pump with a chic slim heel that's a comfortable height. Wear with… gosh I wear my nude pumps like these with everything from pants of all colors to skirts and dresses of all lengths and silhouettes! This is a great height for ankle pants as well as classic trousers and they're 40% off.
- Geox makes stylish leather boots that are water resistant and comfortable. They're perfect for travel, as well as weekend errand running. There's a few fab styles from this brand on sale:
- The Doralia Tall Boot is a mid-calf boot with a bit of a steampunk edge. Would look so chic with leggings and a tunic, over jeggings, or even with some skirts and dresses. The sole will keep you secure and dry on all terrain. On sale 50% off.
- The Felicity 12 Bootie is an ankle boot with muscle. Tough yet chic, two colors to choose from, it reminds me of my LL Bean Harness booties that I wear with jeans, leggings, and even tights an casual dresses. Also 50% off.
- The Peaceful Tall Boot is the kind of boot you'll wear with everything and wear for years. It will look just as chic with a pencil skirt as it does slipped over jeans. Black and brown available for less than $140.
- I'm a big fan of a statement shoe. Sometimes a funky printed pair is more versatile than a neutral and it can add style and whimsy to wardrobe basics. This slingback pump with a block heel from Shellys London is calling to me. Imagine it with a black dress, peeking out of ivory trousers, styled with cuffed jeans, worn with purple, red, camel, navy, orange, brown, and more. For sale less than $90.
- The block heel, the higher shaft, the classic color options… all wins. Having owned shoes from Seychelles before and knowing they're comfy, I had to add them to this post! I'm digging the brown with the wood heel though black is also nice. On sale for less than $100.
- A metallic shoe is so versatile and adds a little something to outfits. These loafers from Louise et Cie are the perfect work-friendly shiny shoe and on sale for less than $85.
- Baseball fans may love these MLB sneakers from Keds – lots of teams to choose from and on sale for less than $45.
- This ankle strap sandal with a block heel from Dune London is the perfect shoe for spring and summer. Style with jeans of every style (including cropped, kick flare, and wide leg), dresses, pants, and more. On sale for less than $75 which is 40% off.
- It's hard to find a professional looking flat. This one from Corso Como is just that – structured, elongated toe, and professional fabrics. Two choices, on sale for less than $60.
While some will be perfect for March winds and April showers, some are great to buy now at an amazing price and wear again next year. This is a mix of regular and plus sizes.
- This walking coat from Gallery is a piece you'll wear for years and take on all your travels. Water resistant, classic silhouette, removeable hood and lining, even machine washable! Different sizes cost different prices; it seems 1X and 2X are on sale for less than $200 while 3X is still full price. Not thrilled about that, but it's still a great coat.
- Same coat from Gallery, in standard and petite sizes. Again, different sizes are different prices (so weird) but still up to 50% off the regular price.
- I love Bernardo, I have a puffer vest and a long hooded puffer coat from the brand and they're well made, flattering, and stylish. I'm restraining myself from ordering this puffer bomber jacket – want but don't need since I already have the vest and coat! Three great colors and on sale for less than $100.
- I inherited a Persian lamb coat and it's my evening coat. This is a faux version from French Connection that is a classic silhouette and will work with your cocktail dresses as jeans and a sweater. On sale for less than $150.
- Yeah, I'm in love with this leopard print biker jacket from Topshop. My wallet loves that it's not available in my size. So buy it and let me live vicariously through you. On sale 50% off.
- This Vince Camuto Drawstring Drop Tail Jacket reminds me a lot of my olive anorak that I love and wear all the time. Detachable hood and plenty of pockets makes this jacket perfect for travel. On sale for less than $160.
- A classic long trench from London Fog, only in petite sizes. This is a coat you'll love and wear for years and right now is on sale for less than $120.
- This puffer coat from Halogen reminds me of the one I have from Bernardo and love. I like how the quilting is varied to add interest and flatter the figure. Two colors, plus sizes only, on sale 50% off.
- I love a leather moto jacket, it just gets better with wear. This one from Sejour is a dark grey which I think I may like better than black; imagine it with pastels, with black, with blue, with autumnal shades… in plus sizes and on sale 33% off.
This sale has some really great plus sized pieces on sale. Concerns me a bit… often when a lot of a brand or category is on sale I worry they're discontinuing it. Don't you dare Nordstrom, keep improving the plus size selections and we'll shop!
- The City Chic ‘Lunch Date' tunic is so on trend for this spring. Shirt dresses and tunics are going to be everywhere, and this crisp white with black stripe one is super chic. Pair with black leggings on the weekend, black ankle pants for a business casual workplace, with distressed jeans and statement shoes for a night out. On sale for a hair over $55.
- This striped shift dress from Gabby Skye is one of those pieces that makes you look polished when you really just want to be in your pajamas. Pair with black tights and ankle booties, put a denim or moto jacket over it, dress it up with pumps, then throw it in the washing machine. On sale for less than $65!
- Persona by Marina Rinaldi is quality, sophisticated plus size fashion. There's a lot from the line on sale, and the sale prices are pretty fab:
- The Naiade Coat is a wool blend that could be a lightweight topper in spring or fall, or could make a unique suit at the workplace. This would also look great over a shift or sheath dress – pair with a not-so little black dress, black tights and ankle booties or flats and a statement necklace or silk scarf. This is a great versatile piece for travel and is on sale 40% off.
- Add the Rame Stretch Pants to the Naiade Coat and you have a stylish pantsuit! These are great slim navy pants with plenty of style and versatility. Also 40% off.
- Start a capsule wardrobe with the above two pieces and this lace sheath dress in the same navy color. This is a dress that work year-round. Pair with a jacket or cardigan for work, heels and a sparkly necklace for play. Also 40% off.
- Bow details aren't going away any time soon. The Baccheo Silk Blouse is a cool print that will go with so much, and the ribbon detail at the neck and cuff is fun without being too playful for the workplace. Style with the Rame stretch pants, dark denim, white pants, or even a yellow skirt (you're going to see a lot of yellow in stores this spring). Again, this is on sale 40% off.
- This twill utility jacket from Sejour is a springtime essential. Wear as outerwear, or style with a Breton tee, jeans and some fun sneakers for a weekend outing. On sale 40% off.
- How can I not add a dress that has a multiple positive reviews including one titled, “THIS DRESS IS EVERYTHING!”? Also from Sejour, this belted ponte dress is workplace perfection, but with a switch of belt it could look likely for a daytime wedding and certain after work affairs. Two colors to choose from, 40% off.
- Tunic blouses are my jam. Wear with jeans and ankle booties on the weekend to look polished while still relaxed; wear to work with ankle pants and flats for an easy throw-on outfit. This color is amazing, I love it's machine washable and less than $70.
- ‘Tis the season to get amazing sweaters for amazing prices. This mixed-stitch tunic sweater from Caslon looks luxe, comes in two colors, and is on sale for less than $50.
- Every woman should have a dressy blouse in their wardrobe; I've been preaching this since 2005. This one from Alex Evenings is pretty perfect and 40% is a pretty perfect price.
- I love the color of this fit and flare dress from Eliza J, and I love how the style can work from work to play. Eliza J dresses are really flattering and well made, this one is on sale 40% off.
- This fully lined seamed a-line dress with bracelet length sleeves from Tahari is a classic. Five amazing colors to choose from, this is a piece that is so easy to dress up and down. On sale for $69.
- I have this blazer from Vince Camuto in three colors, one that is three years old. It's a great classic blazer, and it's on sale 20% off.
I'm pretty picky with accessories at the end of seasons. This is where trends really happen, and what may seem “classic” one year can look super dated a year later. Ones I think are worth it or will make it:
- Sure this Kate Spade necklace is trendy right now, but I'm featuring it because it's really hard to find a dressy long necklace that isn't pearls. And some looks just really need a dressy long necklace. This one is regal enough that I think it will stay stylish for a long time, and from owning some from the line I know kaate Spade makes quality jewelry that will last. On sale 40% off.
- I love a long earring – it adds drama to all sorts of looks. I'm an Argento Vivo fan, and these turquoise and gold linear earrings are pretty fantastic. Imagine them with white, with denim, a coral colored top or sundress, even a simple black sheath. And right now they're 50% off.
- I think hobo bags like this one from Rebecca Minkoff are a classic. This mushroom color is a perfect way to welcome spring; it's a sophisticated color that works well with warm and cool colors. On sale for less than $180.
- Halogen has this perfect little leather crossbody in several colors and it gets great reviews. Lucky for you the red color is on sale for less than $68.
Sweaters, Blazers, Jackets, and Blouses
All the tops that are tops in this sale! Casual, workplace, and dressy combined.
- The ruffle trend is hot right now, and while it may be passe come fall, it's a fun way to add interest to basic knits now. I'm really loving this ruffled French terry sweatshirt from Pleione. It's not too extreme, it comes in regular and petite, four colors to choose from, and less than $40 so you can get plenty of wear without buyer's remorse. I personally think this kind of sweatshirt will still be cool come September.
- Soft jackets are great for work as well as weekend. This soft moto jacket from Caslon can be worn with a silky shell and pants or over a sheath dress for the workplace; style it with a tee and jeans for the weekend. On sale for a hair over $35.
- This asymmetrical blouse from Eliza J is a great dressy top for your closet. Pair with a pair of black trousers and pumps for a sleek look for after hours, style with a ball skirt for a gala, wear with dark or white jeans for a night out with the girls, get girly with a full midi skirt and pumps, tuck into full trousers for a girly touch to menswear. On sale 40% off.
- I have this same cardigan and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Wear it wrapped, open it into a waterfall cardigan. It's soft, stretchy, and washes well. On sale for $40.80 and still available in two sizes.
Pants and Jeans
- I own these same jeans from NYDJ; they're not skin-tight but slim enough to slip in boots. The color is saturated and can pass for pants in more casual workplaces and I've washed mine a dozen times and they're still richly colored. 5o% off is awesome (I paid full price and don't regret it); just know NYDJ can run big in the waist so if in doubt size down.
- I also own these jeggings from JAG jeans and love them. They're super stretchy but not thin, have pockets in back and (faux) front. They don't stretch out or bag and hold up great through multiple washings. On sale for less than $55.
- I am so in love with grey jeans right now, they're a nice switch from blue and just as versatile. These boyfriend jeans from Current/Elliott are so chic, and the sale makes them a far more reasonable price.
- You know I love leather-front leggings and knit pants. Usually I buy faux leather because I can't afford the price of real; these from Eileen Fisher are the real deal and on sale 40% off.