As always, shop smart and shop assuming we will be sheltering in place for many more months than the government is stating. Prepare for the worst, be pleased if it is less. Also don't do a lot of buying assuming you'll do an in-house try-on and return what doesn't work. While returns are being processed at many retailers, it is taking much longer than usual. For example, on March 16th my husband dropped off returns for Madewell and Nordstrom and they just sent email confirmation of these returns yesterday. That being said, there are some great sales if you have specific items you need and I have rounded up some of my favorites below:
Attention Sephora shoppers! The Sephora sale starts TODAY for Rouge members, the 23rd for everyone else. Not a member of Sephora's VIB program? Sales like this show why it's worth it to sign up for the free program. Shop early, items will sell out.
- Sephora has its site now organized by age range for skincare. I clicked on what they recommend for a person in their 40s, and the only thing on that page that I've used is SUPERGOOP's Unseen Sunscreen, which I do agree is a great facial sunscreen.
- After listening to Jean Godfrey-June on the Everything Is Fine podcast, I decided to try a Vitamin C powder instead of the serum I use from Kiehl's. I am cheap, so I got this one from The Ordinary. And it likely works, but gosh it's gritty. Even if I take my time and blend it into hyaluronic acid like many recommend it still feels gross on my skin and when I touch my face it rubs off. Maybe the $90 True Botanicals powder Godfrey-June uses per ITG isn't as gritty but eh, I'll stick with Kiehl's which is available at Sephora and has worked for me for over a year. But if you too are cheap and you're more patient with beauty, the Ordinary Vitamin C powder gets rave reviews.
- Since staying indoors most of the time and foregoing makeup, I've been using a lot of the samples of non-SPF moisturizers I've collected in the past months and I really have fallen for belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb which isn't heavy but really hydrates without greasiness (it's also rated Clean at Sephora).
- The other day I pulled out some tanning pads from my linen closet and was impressed how much better my face looked without makeup and a hint of glow. My absolute favorite ones are from Dr. Dennis Gross. I apply evenly to my face, into my hair line, onto my ears, down my neck and shoulders and bustline. I use whatever is left to wipe up from tops of hands up arms then wash my face. No orange, not incredibly dark, just a bit glowy and they also make my skin even and happy!
- If you have fair skin and embrace it but want skin a bit more even, Cicapair from Dr. Jart+ is amazing. It will reduce redness, blur the skin, and just make skin look and feel happy.
Nordstrom is having a “Spring Staycation” sale (that's a positive way to spin this moment in time) with a lot of wear-now looks on sale. Shop fast, this sale ends tomorrow/Saturday at 9am ET!
After a few weeks of wearing my primarily-black loungewear I have been wanting more color in my wardrobe. Color really does affect how we feel, and I am just loving the sunny brights that are so on trend this season!
- Breezy and beautiful, this machine washable and dryable poplin dress will be great now with flip flops and later with dressy sandals.
- It's hard to remember what day it is these days, kind of like when on vacation so this t-shirt turns quarantine lemons into lemonade!
- Shatterproof wine glasses in pretty colors (the set is less than $12) for at-home happy hours.
- Bangs growing out? This set of three stretchy headwraps is just $10 and some change.
- $14 for little windows of blue sky and gold from your ears.
- This lilac colored sweatshirt is the perfect blend of bright and light and screams spring.
- I feel like I need a highlighter-colored hoodie in my life. I didn't a month ago, but now… now things call for highlighter-colored hoodies.
- How delightful is the print of this midi shirtdress? It also comes in two other colors.
- 50 years of Any Warhol's iconic magazine in a beautiful art book.
- I've admired these earrings for months but found the pricetag ridiculous. Now at $31 I may reconsider.
- A cheery, cozy, and highly-rated orange sweatshirt for only $35
- I have several of these pashminas from Nordstrom. They're soft, not bulky, yet wear like iron and are great to throw on when at the computer. On sale for just under $60.
But there is something chic about classics with pops of white for spring. These pieces still brought me joy:
- This jumpsuit is so chic, comes in three colors, it's machine washable and tumble dry, and it has pockets! Oh it's also just $44.50.
- These are my absolute favorite sunglasses and all I wear; if I didn't have three pairs I'd buy more at this amazing price!
- This wide headband will hide roots and too-long bangs and look very chic for just $10.40.
- This Panama hat will keep your cool when it's hot, comes in two colors, and is on sale for less than $20.
- This Madewell denim dress is a classic (and it has pockets!). On sale for less than $60.
- A luxe alternative to the Adidas shower shoe, this slide from ALLSAINTS comes in a variety of chic colors and is a great price.
- Bose on sale? Yes please! These noise-canceling headphones have Google Assistant and come in two colors.
- Tie-die is everywhere this season, but this one is classic enough you can still wear it this time next year!
- A stylish and nicely-smelling candle for just around $20.
- This is a classic summer shoe that looks great with jeans, with wide-leg trousers, with dresses, and more.
- This classic striped boatneck comes in a variety of colored stripes and is less than $25.
- Relaxed dresses like this maintain comfort while looking chic as you shelter in place. It also comes in green.
Other Great Sales This Weekend:
- Adidas has up to 30% off with promo code SAVENOW. Shop at this link.
- Banana Republic has 40% off regularly priced items and 60% off sale prices, no promo code needed. Shop at this link.
- ban.do has 20% off stay home essentials at this link with promo code STAYIN.
- J.Jill has an extra 50% off sale items at this link.
- Michael's has 20% off your order with promo code 20MAKE4120. Shop at this link.
- Pat McGrath has 20% off and it goes up to 25% off if you spend $150. Shop at this link.
- Pottery Barn has up 20% off furniture and 25% off everything else with promo code EARTHDAY at this link.
- Old Navy has everything on sale; at the time of writing this they had several things for just $1.99 and almost everything else at $20 or less. Shop at this link.
- Shopbop has up to 40% off at this link.
- Torrid has one of those tiered sales where you get 25% off $50 or more and up to 50% if you buy more. Shop at this link.