This article may contain affiliate links; if you click on a shopping link and make a purchase I may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
As always, shop smart and shop assuming we will be sheltering in place for many more months than the government is stating. Prepare for the worst, be pleased if it is less. Also don't do a lot of buying assuming you'll do an in-house try-on and return what doesn't work. While returns are being processed at many retailers, it is taking much longer than usual. For example, on March 16th my husband dropped off returns for Madewell and Nordstrom and they just sent email confirmation of these returns yesterday. That being said, there are some great sales if you have specific items you need and I have rounded up some of my favorites below:
Attention Sephora shoppers! The Sephora sale starts TODAY for Rouge members, the 23rd for everyone else. Not a member of Sephora's VIB program? Sales like this show why it's worth it to sign up for the free program. Shop early, items will sell out.
- Sephora has its site now organized by age range for skincare. I clicked on what they recommend for a person in their 40s, and the only thing on that page that I've used is SUPERGOOP's Unseen Sunscreen, which I do agree is a great facial sunscreen.
- After listening to Jean Godfrey-June on the Everything Is Fine podcast, I decided to try a Vitamin C powder instead of the serum I use from Kiehl's. I am cheap, so I got this one from The Ordinary. And it likely works, but gosh it's gritty. Even if I take my time and blend it into hyaluronic acid like many recommend it still feels gross on my skin and when I touch my face it rubs off. Maybe the $90 True Botanicals powder Godfrey-June uses per ITG isn't as gritty but eh, I'll stick with Kiehl's which is available at Sephora and has worked for me for over a year. But if you too are cheap and you're more patient with beauty, the Ordinary Vitamin C powder gets rave reviews.
- Since staying indoors most of the time and foregoing makeup, I've been using a lot of the samples of non-SPF moisturizers I've collected in the past months and I really have fallen for belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb which isn't heavy but really hydrates without greasiness (it's also rated Clean at Sephora).
- The other day I pulled out some tanning pads from my linen closet and was impressed how much better my face looked without makeup and a hint of glow. My absolute favorite ones are from Dr. Dennis Gross. I apply evenly to my face, into my hair line, onto my ears, down my neck and shoulders and bustline. I use whatever is left to wipe up from tops of hands up arms then wash my face. No orange, not incredibly dark, just a bit glowy and they also make my skin even and happy!
- If you have fair skin and embrace it but want skin a bit more even, Cicapair from Dr. Jart+ is amazing. It will reduce redness, blur the skin, and just make skin look and feel happy.
Nordstrom is having a “Spring Staycation” sale (that's a positive way to spin this moment in time) with a lot of wear-now looks on sale. Shop fast, this sale ends tomorrow/Saturday at 9am ET!
After a few weeks of wearing my primarily-black loungewear I have been wanting more color in my wardrobe. Color really does affect how we feel, and I am just loving the sunny brights that are so on trend this season!
- Breezy and beautiful, this machine washable and dryable poplin dress will be great now with flip flops and later with dressy sandals.
- It's hard to remember what day it is these days, kind of like when on vacation so this t-shirt turns quarantine lemons into lemonade!
- Shatterproof wine glasses in pretty colors (the set is less than $12) for at-home happy hours.
- Bangs growing out? This set of three stretchy headwraps is just $10 and some change.
- $14 for little windows of blue sky and gold from your ears.
- This lilac colored sweatshirt is the perfect blend of bright and light and screams spring.
- I feel like I need a highlighter-colored hoodie in my life. I didn't a month ago, but now… now things call for highlighter-colored hoodies.
- How delightful is the print of this midi shirtdress? It also comes in two other colors.
- 50 years of Any Warhol's iconic magazine in a beautiful art book.
- I've admired these earrings for months but found the pricetag ridiculous. Now at $31 I may reconsider.
- A cheery, cozy, and highly-rated orange sweatshirt for only $35
- I have several of these pashminas from Nordstrom. They're soft, not bulky, yet wear like iron and are great to throw on when at the computer. On sale for just under $60.
But there is something chic about classics with pops of white for spring. These pieces still brought me joy:
- This jumpsuit is so chic, comes in three colors, it's machine washable and tumble dry, and it has pockets! Oh it's also just $44.50.
- These are my absolute favorite sunglasses and all I wear; if I didn't have three pairs I'd buy more at this amazing price!
- This wide headband will hide roots and too-long bangs and look very chic for just $10.40.
- This Panama hat will keep your cool when it's hot, comes in two colors, and is on sale for less than $20.
- This Madewell denim dress is a classic (and it has pockets!). On sale for less than $60.
- A luxe alternative to the Adidas shower shoe, this slide from ALLSAINTS comes in a variety of chic colors and is a great price.
- Bose on sale? Yes please! These noise-canceling headphones have Google Assistant and come in two colors.
- Tie-die is everywhere this season, but this one is classic enough you can still wear it this time next year!
- A stylish and nicely-smelling candle for just around $20.
- This is a classic summer shoe that looks great with jeans, with wide-leg trousers, with dresses, and more.
- This classic striped boatneck comes in a variety of colored stripes and is less than $25.
- Relaxed dresses like this maintain comfort while looking chic as you shelter in place. It also comes in green.
Other Great Sales This Weekend:
- Adidas has up to 30% off with promo code SAVENOW. Shop at this link.
- Banana Republic has 40% off regularly priced items and 60% off sale prices, no promo code needed. Shop at this link.
- ban.do has 20% off stay home essentials at this link with promo code STAYIN.
- J.Jill has an extra 50% off sale items at this link.
- Michael's has 20% off your order with promo code 20MAKE4120. Shop at this link.
- Pat McGrath has 20% off and it goes up to 25% off if you spend $150. Shop at this link.
- Pottery Barn has up 20% off furniture and 25% off everything else with promo code EARTHDAY at this link.
- Old Navy has everything on sale; at the time of writing this they had several things for just $1.99 and almost everything else at $20 or less. Shop at this link.
- Shopbop has up to 40% off at this link.
- Torrid has one of those tiered sales where you get 25% off $50 or more and up to 50% if you buy more. Shop at this link.
The shirtdress is so pretty!
I have to admit, I’m probably shopping more than I should be—the sales are so good! But I’ve had to make a few returns too; some of my orders in early March were better for work wear & it’s just not needed right now. Now, I’m finding myself picking up nicer-type t-shirts, and a few other items that will be more versatile. All the color you showed above is perfect right now. I even ordered a pair of tennis shoes in a color called “watermelon;” it’s a pinkish/reddish color & they make me happy every time I go for a walk! One of the sales that I took advantage of one week was Williams Sonoma. I found new dishes, that I did really need, & they were on sale, plus free shipping. No guilt at all on that purchase!
I always enjoy your blog and appreciate your truthful answers! The little poplin dress is cute. Would you wear it with the self belt or what. Is it too young looking for a 70 year old?
Heads up: Sephora laid off a bunch of their workforce in a dodgy and insensitive way (via a conference call, source here: https://www.businessinsider.com/sephora-fires-employees-via-sudden-conference-call-2020-4).
Sephora has always been my go-to store for makeup stuff but I’m finding myself hesitant to shop this big sale because of this.
I’m also a huge fan of Belif Aqua Bomb! I wanted to love all of The Ordinary products I tried last summer because the price point was fantastic, but I just wasn’t seeing any results. I’m always searching for the best skincare products.
I love the Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen. I tried a sample and was hooked! It’s more expensive than other sunscreens at the drugstore so get it when it’s on sale. It feels so good on. There is no fragrance and when I exercise, it doesn’t run into my eyes! It comes out of the tube clear like a gel and blends into your face with no color and no greasy look. When shops reopen, I plan to go try other products from Supergoop. I would stick with Kiehl’s. I have had the same kind of success as you have had with it. I am wishing for a good bronzer right now…. any suggestions?
Is there only 1 plus size option listed? Kind of bummed there seem to be less and less truly plus size options in your round ups. Even if you don’t consider yourself plus size, I always thought this was a plus size helpful blog.
Alison Gary says
A few pieces, including the highlighter hoodie were available in plus sizes and are now sold out. As for less and less plus size I am not sure exactly what you mean. Last week’s sale alert featured Anthropologie, J.Jill, and Athleta, all which offer plus size options. The previous sale alert featured Madewell, Talbots, and Bare Necessities which are plus size and Soma which doesn’t have full plus sizes but goes above a size 14. The most recent campaigns I’ve done with brands are with Universal Standard, Cacique/Lane Bryant, Colleen Rothschild (skincare), cabi (now has select styles up to 20 and I’ve worked with them for 9 years) and Soma (available up to XXL or 20). I will continue to offer plus size options and make that a focus, there is no plan to change that, though I do realize this week’s Friday Sale Alert isn’t as balanced as previous ones. Your comment is a reminder to me to keep the focus.
Versed vitamin C powder is $20 & available at Target. It blends nicely into my face oil. I’m not sure its better than the Mad Hippie serum I have been using and ran out of, but for $20 it’s worth a try.
Alison Gary says
Thank you for this suggestion, Jenny! For those interested in it, here is the link to the powder at Target: https://bit.ly/3cs4cCa
So, your reply to my comment made me tear up a bit. It feels good to be seen in isolation! This blog, and your voice, and leadership (I don’t know of another word for it) during this quarantine matters enormously to me and to others as well. Keep being here for us — we need you more than ever.
My scarf collection is ridiculous (even after the closet purge). I love to tie them in my hair. But those neon headbands look super fun and are a great pop of color.
Alison Gary says
Right? I am soooo tempted!
Both husband and I have purchased headphones/headsets since we started staying at home. Overall we’ve been happy together but not having to listen to every conference call or musical whim has helped, a lot.
Temperatures have been up and down and I’ve been looking at my denim skirts thinking I’d like to be wearing them, but for my fishbelly legs. If I were going into work I would have put on tights. I’m all for not being a slob at home, but have not been inspired to put on stockings. It may be time to break out the self-tanner.
Jennifer Porter says
I second that comment about the headphones. I’ve been wearing mine everyday, and it truly helps with blocking out the home activities of 3 kids plus my husband who has his own rounds of conference calls.
Jennifer Porter says
FYI – the Bose headphones are $269 at Costco right now!
Alison Gary says
Yessss! Here’s the link to them at Costco: https://www.costco.com/bose-noise-cancelling-wireless-headphones.product.100456081.html
Thanks, Allie, you were the one responsible for turning me on to Nordstrom. Now I have my own card, and so seeing some things I can use while telecommuting makes my credit card spin, but my heart happy. In these tough times, we need a voice like yours to remind us to stay positive and be motivated. You’re my heroine.
Alison Gary says
Oh yeah, keep those stockings in the drawer! I love Jergen’s gradual tanner for my legs!