I've recently shared how much I love the Talbots Holiday collection. Talbots reached out and invited me to pick out a few things from their New Arrivals and share my honest thoughts on fit, quality, and offer styling tips. I was excited to have this opportunity to showcase New Arrivals to you in time for the Talbots Black Friday sale. I hope this “what I ordered, got, and thought” review helps you shop this pretty fantastic sale.
Thank you Talbots, for sponsoring this post.
Talbots Black Friday Sale
Today, Black Friday, through noon, Talbots is offering 50% off one regular-price item, and 40% off the rest of your order. After noon and until midnight, receive 40% off your entire order. Talbots is also providing free shipping on orders of $150+ all day long.
Talbots stores open at 8 am on Black Friday. While supplies last, Talbots stores are offering a free tote with all purchases of $150+ (while supplies last) as well as the promotions in the paragraph above.
Talbots: What I Ordered, Got, and Thought
Thinking about the holidays, I chose pieces that could work for the range of social situations I have on my calendar this season, but also pieces that I feel will remain stylish for years to come. I wanted a mix of dressy and more casual so I could look festive for a fancy dinner, a New Year's Eve party, or a casual get together with friends at one of our homes or a favorite restaurant or bar.
Back in 2018, I worked with Talbots for a holiday promotion, and in the Talbots Holiday collection, I fell for a black ball skirt with big white polka dots. I ordered it and loved it even more in person. And excluding this year (I went away for the holiday), I have worn that black polka dot ball skirt every single Thanksgiving since. I wanted pieces that had that lasting classic style that could be worn this holiday season, and many more to come.
Talbots Feather Cuff Bateau Neck Tee
When I saw the Talbots Feather Cuff Bateau Neck Tee I knew I needed it in my life. I love a Breton stripe top, and the addition of the feathery cuffs elevated it not just for the holidays but throughout the year. I went with an XL regular. This top comes in Misses, Petite, Plus, and Plus Petite.
This is a tunic-length top, which means extra versatility. The feather cuffs also snap off for laundering, but also for a completely different-looking top, adding even more versatility. I styled it untucked with the same Talbots ivory corduroy pants I styled here. I added a pair of soft gold block heel pumps to add a bit of shine and fun, though this could also dress down with sneakers.
I also liked it tucked into the tux pants I got from the 2022 Talbots Holiday Collection. I felt by tucking in the top it looked more elevated, and the black pants looked more evening. A straight to wide leg of a drapey dressy fabric will help bring this top from day to night. A few other ideas on how to style it:
- With jeans. Just the touch of feather and the stripes elevates this from a basic knit top. Wear untucked with straight or slim jeans, or tucked into most any style of denim. The Talbots Ultra Wide Leg Trousers would look super chic for a tucked-in look (pair with ankle boots or your favorite sparkly footwear). Talbots Jeggings are the perfect skinny jean that doesn't look painted on and can be worn slipped into your favorite riding boots or paired with comfy flats.
- Dress it up with velvet. These wide leg velvet trousers come in the Talbots complete size range and get great reviews for comfort and drape. Style with suede ankle booties, a fun pair of sparkly flats or sneakers; I am partial to these festive embroidered suede loafers for comfort and style.
- Go glitz with the Talbots Slim Ankle Jeans in gold foil. Getting rave reviews, these jeans are a ton of fun and will dress up knit tops and sweaters all winter and can glam up shells and tees as the weather warms up. Depending on your situation, you could finish off with sneakers, gold heels, ankle boots, or a pair of loafers.
Talbots Metallic Taffeta Patio Skirt in Celebrate Plaid
I love that I have a signature look for Thanksgiving, and I was thinking of a similar concept for Christmas Eve, when we go to my sister's for a candlelit “fancy” dinner and dress up. So when I saw this plaid taffeta patio skirt from Talbots, I requested it in 16 petite (it comes in Misses, Petite, Plus, and Plus Petite). Decembers in the Washington D.C. area can be all over the place in regard to weather; I figured this could get cozy with a cashmere turtleneck, fleece tights, and knee-high boots or be breezier with a crisp white shirt and embellished flats.
This skirt is fun, but as someone short and curvy, I wish it was either a bit longer or a bit shorter. If I could do it over, I think I would consider a 16 regular to get that extra bit of length. I may have it altered to midi length as that may get more wear for me than this length. This is a personal preference though, I know many love this length as it is formal yet easy to move in and won't get wet from snow or slush.
The fabric of this skirt is taffeta with metallic threads so it catches all the light, but I think holiday dressing is a time when over-the-top is embraced. The fabric isn't stiff, the skirt is lined, and the self-belt is removable. The drop waist makes it a style that looks good with tops that are tucked in or left out. Do note, because it has a side zipper and a drop waist, there are no pockets.
While I styled it here with a black turtleneck sweater, I think there are many other ways to style the Talbots Metallic Taffeta Patio Skirt in Celebrate Plaid:
- A crisp white shirt like the Non-Iron Perfect Shirt. I'd either tuck it in, or remove the self-belt and tie it in a knot at the waist. For me personally, I would cuff the sleeves and pop the collar, adding a sparkly necklace in the neckline.
- With a holiday-themed graphic t-shirt and sneakers. Who says a ball skirt has to be formal?
- With the Talbots cashmere turtleneck or Audrey sweater in black. I own both of these and love the fit and quality. If you are between sizes, I recommend sizing down with the turtleneck, especially if you plan to wear with a skirt like this one. Keep warm with knee-high boots underneath.
- The Talbots cashmere Charming Cardigan and Charming Shell in red or black. Tuck in the shell, leave the cardigan out. Add the Talbots Edison flats in the same color as the sweater twinset; these shoes are great three seasons of the year with pants, midi skirts, and a range of dresses.
- If you'd like to lighten things up, the Ruffle Neck Sweater in ivory or the Satin Bow Cableknit Pullover would look great with the skirt. Either tuck in the sweater or use my belt hack to create a belted effect for your sweater.
Talbots Back Cutout Dress in Glitter Dot
I was immediately drawn to this Back Cutout Dress in Glitter Dot. I mentioned this dress in my Talbots Holiday Collection review and wanted to check it out for myself. Again, I ordered it in 16 petite (it is available in Misses and Petite to size 18).
I like this dress. For years I hid my legs thinking they weren't slim or youthful enough, but I am at a point where I am so grateful to these strong gams that let me hike and spin and walk and climb. At 5'3″ I appreciated this dress came in petite so I could have it hit above my knees and not have the back gape. Speaking of the back, the opening is super cute but not so large you can't wear your favorite bra and/or shapewear. I may wear some shapewear with this dress to have a smoother line underneath, I may not. I think it's really cute and I look forward to an occasion to wear it.
The dress has a texture to it, which makes it easier to dress up and down. This is a great option for your company holiday party at the restaurant down the street, a New Year's party, even being the guest at a winter wedding. Some styling ideas:
- The holidays are a time when you can truly be over the top. You can get the matching Erica Slingback Pumps or the matching minaudière bag… or heck you can do both! You can go super glitz with Sylvie Bow Kitten Heels in gold lamé or the matching bow clutch... or go with both!
- Dress down the frock with black opaque tights and black ankle booties. Choosing a suede bootie like the Mallory Kitten Heel in Suede will give a continuous line and will feel dressier than leather.
- This dress would also look great with black sheer hosiery/stockings and a pair of black slingbacks, pumps, or low block heels in a dressy fabric like satin, crepe, or suede. The Isa Bow Pump is a great option. Have your bag the same color and fabric as your shoes or else go with something to match the gold foil dots.
- You could totally dress down this dress with a denim jacket and sneakers, or go super festive with a red pop of color with your shoes, your bag, your lip, or all three!
Talbots Satin Fit & Flare Dress in Blooming Floral
Talbots didn't send me the Satin Fit & Flare Dress in Blooming Floral; as I shared in this post I bought it when Talbots had one of their great sales. I purchased it in a 16 petite and it fit perfectly. It is available in Misses, Petite, and Plus.
This dress is just as vibrant in person, and I found it worked well with my soft curves. Here are some suggestions on how to style this dress:
- For day, I wore this dress with a pair of black leather knee-high boots with a kitten heel. Since the dress has a seamed waist, I removed the self belt and liked the effect. However, it's also pretty with the belt.
- Another option is black opaque tights and black ankle booties.
- For evening, I think this dress would be lovely with a black slingback, low block heel pump, or strappy heels in a dressy fabric. You could also pull the pink or red for a statement shoe in a dressy fabric.
- This dress would look nice with a simple black clutch, but I love the look of the matching floral minaudière which would also look lovely with any black, red, or pink dress, suit, or ensemble.
- This dress is lightweight enough to wear three seasons of the year. To make it feel springy, choose bare legs and a soft metallic or dressy fabric heel in a color that is low contrast to your skintone.
- When shooting this dress, I tried tying the self-belt in a bow at the throat and it created a “pussy bow” effect that was very fun!
Talbots Holiday Jewelry
Finally, I am all about Talbots holiday jewelry. The quality is stellar; I am wearing pieces I bought over a decade ago and the recent pieces I have collected are the same quality. I love a holiday brooch this time of year; it can take simple sweaters and suits and make them festive. They also look great pinned to a wool coat. I was drawn to the Talbots Oh Deer brooch because it wasn't obviously Christmas, and it incorporated both silver and gold so it could work with a range of outfits.
Like my other Talbots brooches, this brooch is gorgeous, well made, and a perfect size and weight to wear on a cashmere crewneck or a wool overcoat. It's not too heavy for pieces like the feather-trimmed striped bateau to add an additional festive touch. Below I have a carousel of my picks of Talbots holiday jewelry to glam up your existing wardrobe:
Thank you, Talbots for partnering with Wardrobe Oxygen. I have been a fan of your quality, classic yet on-trend style for decades and you continue to impress with each collection. Click here to view all my Talbots reviews on Wardrobe Oxygen. And head over to Instagram where I have a Reel video showcasing me moving and styling the pieces featured in this post!