This article may contain affiliate links; if you click on a shopping link and make a purchase I may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Labor Day weekend has some of the best sales of the year – it's new product, it's often what you actually need, yet it's the kind of pricing usually seen when brands want to get rid of last season's merchandise. Below I share my picks of the best Labor Day Weekend sales and some suggestions on the best buys at each retailer. Happy shopping!
- Aldo: Buy two items, get your second for 40% off. Did you know Aldo carries wide fit shoes? It's also one of my favorite places for dressy clutches at great prices; I love this one that looks like a folded magazine, this black beaded one that has an optional shoulder chain, and this elegant metallic one that will be perfect for every event on your holiday social calendar (plus classic enough that it will work for years to come).
- American Eagle: Take 25-60% off everything plus free shipping and returns. If you think American Eagle is just for young adults, think again. Their great size range and lengths plus their shapes made for curves and extensive style range make them a great brand for all ages. Check out their whole selection at this link. They have almost every style I mentioned in my fall denim trends post plus plenty of great jeggings and skinny jeans. Shop their denim which is 25% off at this link.
- Anthropologie: Take 50% off sale items (final sale only), plus 20% off furniture, décor & select bedding. While final sale of summer things may sound scary, these prices are amazing and many pieces are things you can wear for several weeks now and still look chic next year. My picks for the most wearable through the rest of 2019 while being just a good pick:
- This beautiful flowy swirly maxi skirt in regular and plus sizes – wear now with a cami, tank, or knotted tee. Come fall, add a denim jacket. In the winter, wear with a silk blouse or a black turtleneck with or without a leather jacket. With the sale it's only around $45. Also around the same price is this knee-length floral wrap skirt which could be styled in a similar manner.
- This black plus-size blazer for $45 that would look great over a dress, with pants and a shell, or even a simple tee and jeans.
- Great deals on denim like these plus size jeggings that will be around $30, these high-rise flares in regular and plus sizes for $45,
- Cute graphic tees like this “Revolutionary” one for $20, or this “Amour” one for $20.
- Tops that are simple with an extra something, easy to be a staple you love more than a basic tee: this t-shirt in three colors with cool sleeves (petite and regular) for only $15, this printed dolman top that comes in regular, petite, and plus that would look so chic with black pants and jeans three seasons of the year,
- Chic going out tops that don't show a ton of skin like this sparkly high neck tank (regular, petite, and plus) for $25, this square-neck tank for $20, and this $20 plus size cowl-neck top that looks like it can be worn with a normal bra.
- Pretty jewelry like these $15 turquoise drop earrings, these $15 super cool drop hoops, or this beautiful $25 beaded bib necklace.
- Banana Republic: 40% off EVERYTHING + free 3-5 day shipping on $150+ with code BRSHIP. Banana Republic offers up to size 20/2XL and often has petite and tall offerings.
- A lot of you loved this zebra sweater I shared earlier this week. I also love this zebra print sweater (two colors to choose from), and if leopard is more your scene here's a chic alternative.
- Loving this vegan suede moto in three of the hottest neutrals of the season. And fellow short-armed people rejoice, it comes in petite!
- Have you seen Banana's True Hues collection? Camis, intimates, and shoes in five different skintones.
- I love Banana's tees. This one would look so chic under a blazer, these are soft and chic and come in some pretty perfect stripes, my sister has this one and loves it, and I love this one too (get it?).
- They may not be known for their footwear, but Banana Republic makes high quality, comfortable shoes. I have pairs a decade old I still hold on to because they're amazing. This season I'm loving these slouchy suede boots, these snakeskin booties, this perfect leopard low-heel pump, these badass zebra loafers, and this chic alternative to rain boots.
- Bare Minerals: Take 15% off $75 or 20% off $100, plus receive free shipping with code LNGWKND. I love their products, but have to shout out this lip lacquer – I got it in the color Everything and it's the perfect nude for me, the perfect amount of shine, longevity, and color.
- BaubleBar: 15% off your full-priced order with promo code SUNSHINE. I really appreciate this is one of the few costume jewelry retailers that offers extended ring sizes going up to an 11. I find their costume jewelry high quality, owning pieces for several years. They're the first place I go when looking for fun earrings and I got this phone case and love it.
- Birchbox: If you've ever thought of joining (or gifting a month or two which I have done), this is a good weekend for it. Get $5 off your first month plus a free pair of Bombas socks with code BOMBAS5. Learn more at this link.
- Boden: Receive 20% off select full-priced items plus free shipping and returns over $49 with code R8W3. Boden RARELY goes on sale, so this is major and worth checking out.
- I think these wide-leg pants are so chic and love all the color options.
- I owned this blazer (sized out of it) and it's professional, polished, yet stretchy and comfy. And here's coordinating equally stretchy pants to make a smart-looking suit.
- This is the kind of knitted top that looks smart at work untucked with ankle pants, tucked under a suit or into a pencil skirt, or worn with jeans and shorts on the weekend.
- Speaking of work tops, I own, have owned, and adore the Phoebe Top and especially the Ravello Top for the office. They look silky but are machine washable, they look good under a blazer or cardigan or on their own, and can be tucked in our left out without appearing sloppy.
- Don't be surprised if you see me in this sweatshirt dress later this season.
- Boden has the most cheerful yet sophisticated novelty tops; I love these sweatshirts, this t-shirt, and of course their fabulous Breton tees.
- Brooklinen: take 10% off orders up to $200 and 15% off orders over $200. I haven't tried because I know I will become obsessed; every friend that has bought Brooklinen has become obsessed. Check out the linens and loungewear brand here.
- Catherine's: Take 40% off select styles. Shop at this link.
- Chico's: They have a bunch of offers taking place. This link will take you to their swim sale where select styles are 50% off. This link will take you to select items on sale for as low as $19.99. And if you go to this link, their jewelry is buy one get one 50% off!
- Colleen Rothschild: 20% off the ENTIRE SITE with promo code WORK20. The products I use regularly are the cleansing balm (religiously every night), the extreme recovery cream (my favorite summer/fall night cream and I often use it on days when I know I won't be leaving the house), the retinol oil (read my review here), and the eye cream. Their body scrub is total decadence in a tube.
- DL1961: Take 15% off everything using code: BYESUMMER. This is an amazing deal for some of the best fitting, highest quality inclusive sized jeans on the market. They're also offering their “favorites” for $99 at this link.
- Eddie Bauer: 50% off fall merchandise (no code needed) and an extra 50% off clearance with code SUMMER. Shop the sale at this link.
- ELOQUII: 40% off full-price styles, 50% off clearance, and at this link you will find select styles on sale for just $29. Use promo code OUTOFOFFICE.
- Gap: 40% off everything with code DAYOFF plus an extra 50% off all markdowns. A few of the new releases that caught my eye:
- I kinda think I need this jumpsuit in my life.
- A pretty perfect merino turtleneck in the perfect colors for this season.
- Excellent work trousers in a great silhouette, two basic colors, and lengths.
- Their activewear is great quality and sales like this are the time to stock up.
- The same with their intimates which are highly rated by many including several of you WO2 readers!
- Home Depot: Select appliances are up to 40% off through Sept. 11. Bath and kitchen essentials are up to 40% off through the weekend. And select blenders are 25% off through Sept. 2. Shop at this link.
- Jenny Bird: Select styles are on major sale; you can find them all at this link (FYI, these are final sale).
- J.Jill: 40% off sale styles, no code needed. You can shop all the eligible looks at this link.
- Kohl's: Take $10 off $25 with code LABORDAY. Plus, take 20% off with code POPCORN20 on 9/2 only. Actually, I received four different emails about Kohl's sales going on that I was so confused so I recommend you just visit the site and see what amazing deals you are eligible to use!
- Lands' End: Receive 40% off full-priced styles with code PARTY and PIN 1538.
- Cold weather arrives before we realize it, and I know I'm not the only one trying to buy clothes for winter in November and finding my size sold out. Prepare now with their Thermaskin (I swear by this stuff, it's amazing and fits under things as tight as leggings), Squall Snow Pants (I have these, they're great for skiing or snowboarding but also putting over slim pants and leggings for a commute, for shoveling snow, and of course for sledding on a snow day!), and their fleece lined leggings (hello petite and plus size options!).
- Every year I wear this sweater, rave about this sweater, and readers complain that it's out of stock of any sizes or colors they want. Well don't let that happen to you by buying it now during this sale! Here's the link for the same sweater in plus sizes.
- I am a big fan of Lands' End's ponte dresses. Heavyweight knit that looks polished enough for the office but comfy and easy care. Many have pockets and there are several styles in tall and petite as well as regular and plus sizes.
- Lane Bryant: Take 40% clothing, shoes, sleep and swim. Have you checked out their new denim? All my influencer friends are raving about it, whether or not they were sponsored. Not only that, they look AMAZING in the jeans. Please report back if you've tried them, they look pretty brilliant!
- L.L. Bean: 20% off your entire order, including sale with code GREAT20.
- L.L. Bean makes the best sweaters that are classically chic and last for decades. My picks are the fisherman (which I don't find so cropped on) and the fisherman tunic, their cashmere which is awesome (link for the crewneck, link for the v-neck, link for the turtleneck), their heritage cable cardigan which was a favorite “office cardigan” and now a favorite work from home layer, and their mixed-cable sweater which I have in addition to the one I rave about from Lands' End (the L.L. Bean one has flatter neck trim but otherwise the same).
- Their fleeces are the BEST, they're copied by all the other brands but are better quality and last longer too. If you want one of those super fleecy teddy-bear like fleeces, go with the original. And I have this sweater fleece pullover and LOVE it. I'm going on my third year and it looks brand new.
- Speaking of going with the original, if you're looking to add a utility jacket to your outerwear collection this season, check this one out.
- I really need to check out L.L. Bean denim; so many of you have recommended this style for amazing fit and a good wash and silhouette!
- Lo & Sons: They are offering 50% off select styles available at this link.
- LOFT: Take 40% off almost everything and 50% off other looks with code LONGWEEKEND.
- Macy's: Take 20% off at the Labor Day Sale with code WKND. Like Kohl's, I received several emails with conflicting information about the promotions so to be sure you get the latest and greatest deals, visit their site.
- Madewell: Donate a pair of jeans and get $30 off a new pair. Click here to find a store near you.
- ModCloth: Take 30% off full-priced merchandise, 40% off sale. FYI, this sale doesn't start until Saturday. I highly recommend you check out their new denim.
- Old Navy: Get 50% off jeans, dresses, and tees. They've updated their jean collection and it's pretty fantastic. I am loving their state- and city-themed graphic tees too!
- Pier 1: Take 25% off your entire purchase, no code needed. Shop at this link.
- Saks Off Fifth: Take an extra 25% off your purchase with code EXTRA25. Shop at this link.
- Shoes.com: Take 25% off with code SUMMER25. Shop at this link.
- Soft Surroundings: They're offering an additional 40% off sale items with promo code 40NOW; click here to access the items part of this promotion.
- Soma: When you buy two or more items, you'll get 50% off the highest-priced piece. Use promo code 88074. I recently shared my favorite bras from Soma in this post; I also highly recommend their Essential Leggings (three lengths to choose from), their Cool Nights pajamas, and their Vanishing Edge panties.
- Talbots: 25% off your entire purchase, sale merchandise included. I am loving so much of Talbots' New Arrivals, I can't wait to style a few for you very soon. Some of the things that caught my eye:
- The Cashmere Audrey Sweater is fantastic, I own one and hope to get more. I love the neckline and the weight of the cashmere.
- Earlier this year I rated Talbots' Slim Ankle Jean as one of my favorite denim; I'm thrilled to see it's a silhouette that is still on trend for fall and winter and that Talbots has a great selection of colors and washes.
- I love the colors of this Breton top.
- I own this athleisure jacket from a couple of years ago and LOVE it. Rich color, great fit, still looks new, tempted to get another in one of these pretty colors.
- This is the denim jacket I own and mentioned earlier this week – great fit, size range, and wash.
- These are the pants you never knew you needed but once you have you won't stop wearing.
- I have these denim trousers in white and love them, they have laundered beautifully and are a very on trend yet classic silhouette.
- I am obsessed with these kitten heel booties, and this shoe I got last year and find it incredibly comfortable.
- Torrid: 30% off full-price and an extra 50% off sale price merchandise, no code needed. I know many of you are a fan of their jeans, love their wide-calf boots, and swear by their intimates!
- Universal Standard: Woot, Universal Standard RARELY has a sale so this is worth checking out! From their special Labor Day collection at this link, buy two pieces and save 15%, with code LD15, buy five pieces and get 25% off with LD25! The collection has a lot of work-friendly pieces. Shop here.
- Warp + Weft: take 60% off site wide with the code LABORDAY60. If you're not familiar with this brand, they are great fit, great design, size-inclusive, and all styles are under $100. Shop here.
Whew! If I missed any great sales, do share them in the comments so others can take advantage of the promotion. And if you get any great deals this weekend, let me know!
Hi Alison, about that zebra sweater from Banana Republic? I was one of the ones who loved the look and immediately went to Banana Republic to order it. It came today and I wanted to share some feedback because I know you care about fit and flattery in plus size clothing. I ordered the size XXL (equivalent to size 20). It seems that the zebra design stays the same size no matter the size of the sweater. In smaller sizes, the zebra takes up most of the front of the sweater. But in size XXL, the expanse of plain sweater grew while the zebra stayed the same size, so he’s poking his head out from under my arm and his nose is centered right over my breast. Not flattering! I was sorry to have to return the sweater and I’m sorry if this will discourage others from clicking through to order it from your site – hopefully they’ll find other things that are more flattering and with styles/designs that have been adjusted for large sizes instead of one-size-fits all. Thank you!
Alison Gary says
Oh no that’s awful! Thank you for sharing that information, I have no desire for anyone to make a purchase they regret and it helps to share that kind of feedback. I ordered the sweater myself, it hasn’t yet arrived and I’m concerned I too will have to return it. THANK YOU.
You’re smaller than me so hopefully in your size the zebra won’t be so shy! I just wanted to say how much I love your site, and that so many of your recommendations that I’ve taken in the past have worked out great. My all time favorite is the denim jacket from Soma. Thanks for all you do!
Barbara Lawson says
You do so much research! Thank you for that. I found me a cute blazer jacket from Talbot’s in a rose quartz color. Since I’m in California, I can wear it all year round. I would never have looked at their site if you didn’t clue us in on the sale at Talbot’s.
Alison Gary says
I’m so glad!
Love this post- trying to show restraint but there are so many great options on sale this weekend! One to add: Naturalizer has a 25% off and free shipping deal through 9/3 with code LAIDBACK.
Alison Gary says
I know I’m late in replying but thank you for sharing this!
Thanks for all the sales! This is a post I purposefully saved to go through tonight. It’s been a long week, and I knew I’d enjoy checking out all your picks. It’s time for me to update my Soma VE panties & this sale seems like the best time to that. Enjoy the long weekend!
Alison Gary says
Hope you had a great holiday weekend!
Thank you, Allison! For those who are outdoorsy, REI has a LABORDAY19 code for 20% off on one REI Garage item, which is their outlet store. Good place for bargains on casual/sporty clothes and workout stuff.
I got two pairs of jeans from Lane Bryant during their BOGO 50% sale. The jeans feature their “magic waistband” technology and came in their “curvy fit” sizing. They fit like a dream! No waist gaps, a bit of sretch and the perfect length. (In addition to regular and long sizing, LB also has petite and short fits: two different sizings for shorter girls!) I can’t wait until cooler weather until I can wear them full time!