This article may contain affiliate links; if you click on a shopping link and make a purchase I may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love a black bootie. In these cold winter months, pair with thick black tights and stay warm while making your dresses and skirts look on trend and chic. Slip under trousers for more warmth than pumps but with the same level of dressiness. Come spring and summer, wear with bare legs for a modern, fresh look. Booties provide a level of stability not found in sandals and pumps; I can recall many times when I had to run to catch a light (or catch up with my uber-fast walking boss) and was glad I was wearing my ankle booties. And the way they can take a simple shift or a floaty frock and make them look hip and cool is awesome.
I’ve had a pair of tough black booties in my wardrobe for years and they are the hardest working shoes in my wardrobe. This spring, the black ankle bootie is a hot trend and there’s a ton of great styles to fit every person and their personal style. Ones that have caught my eye…
1. Via Spiga ‘Fabrizie’ – Clean, sleek, modern… this peeptoe bootie is an elegant choice that will be so stylish this spring but become a wardrobe staple for seasons to come. Have it peek out of work trousers, pair with an LBD, or wear with boyfriend jeans and a blazer. You’ll be amazed how many different outfits these booties will complete.
2. Brooks Brothers Dress Booties – Don’t judge Brooks Brothers by their dated reputation. While they are a destination for preppy and conservative attire, they also are a great resource for well-crafted fashion that marries classic style with a bit of edge. These booties are a perfect example; the subtle cutouts keep it from looking boring and the pointed toe elongates the frame and looks elegant.
3. Seychelles ‘Overjoyed’ – Gathered suede, cutouts, and a wedge heel create a unique bootie that will become a closet favorite. The closed toe makes it easy to pair with trousers for the office, but the cutouts make it sexy enough for Date Night or to be paired with a festive frock.
4. Trouvé ‘Hallie’ – Don’t be surprised if you see me sporting these booties in a future outfit post, they’re totally calling my name! The twisted cut-out leather, the subtle hardware and straps, I think they’re so unique and would look amazing paired with more classic looks.
5. Vince Camuto ‘Effel’ – I own these booties and adore them. They’re surprisingly comfortable and versatile; I’ve paired with jeans, casual trousers, and dresses of every length in my closet. I love the gladiator feel and the wearable heel height. Also they come in wide width and are on sale for a pretty nice price.
6. Ted Baker ‘Narill’ – Gotta love a tough looking bootie with a wearable heel height! The gold details at the toe and heel add such elegance; this bootie can dress up for work easily but look great with dresses or even distressed denim. Karl recently got a pair of Ted Baker boots and we’re both impressed by the quality and attention to detail.
7. Bella Vita ‘Lake’ – These have lower than a 2” heel if you factor in the platform; available in multiple widths this is a shoe that looks chic while being utterly comfortable. The lower vamp is more flattering to short legs and thicker ankles; the wood heel keeps the shoe looking modern.
8. Corso Como ‘Winnona’ – The cross strap provides a more flattering cut for those with thicker ankles and the rounded toe will better flatter feminine and vintage personal styles. This bootie would look great with jeans as well as flared and flippy skirts.
9. Via Spiga ‘Nessa’ – This is an elegant classic that has been in style for many years and will continue to be stylish. This bootie would look great now with opaque tights; when the weather warms let them peek out from skinny jeans. Come spring pair with everything from office attire to your favorite LBD. With the hidden platform the heel isn’t as hard to wear as it looks!
10. Pour la Victorie ‘Zuri’ – Gosh I love the chunky black buckle on these booties; so chic and so easy to style! The closed toe make them more versatile and easier to wear in cold weather, but will still look amazing with skirts and bare legs or boyfriend jeans.
11. Vince Camuto ‘Vamelia’ – The slimmer back strap of this peeptoe bootie may prove more comfortable to some and adds a bit of elegance to an otherwise tough shoe. A chunky heel is more comfortable for standing and walking, yet it’s not so chunky that it will look dated in a year.
12. Dr. Scholl’s ‘London’ Bootie – A beautiful grain to the leather and wood heel gives a casual but classic feel that will look as chic with jeans as with casual sundresses. With a memory foam footbed, this is a comfortable boot that will get years of wear.
13. Alice + Olivia ‘Giovanna’ – Um hello star cutouts, how utterly adorable? This is another bootie you shouldn’t be surprised seeing me wear this year, I love the classic fit but the unexpected cutouts. This is a statement shoe that will improve any outfit!
14. Naughty Monkey ‘Angle Tangle’ – I love a wedge bootie, it’s more comfortable than a standard heel and gives a tough badass vibe. Hardware can quickly make shoes look cheap or dated, but the hardware on these booties is simple and necessary to create a rock and roll feel; these would look amazing with a simple sheath or shift or paired with skinny jeans.
15. Madewell ‘Sylvian’ – It’s one part bootie, one part sandal, one part clog and I love all of it. Reviews say this shoe is surprisingly comfortable and it’s brown and black combo is fresh and casual, perfect for spring.
16. Jeffrey Campbell ‘Jovita’ – The perforated leather not only looks cool but keeps you cool in the summer months. A wedge heel adds comfort a tough gal feel. This bootie would look great with dresses but also peeking out of trousers.
Totally in love!
I just got my first pair of black booties this week! Have to size down so back they go, but I can’t wait until they return in the proper size. I’ve been wanting them for awhile. 🙂
I got these ones: http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-boots/womens-ankle-boots/Mission-Parker-Black-Leather-Black-Suede/p/26103397
Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen says
Oooh Jennifer those are nice!
Erin @ Her Heartland Soul says
Ohh I love these!! Thanks so much for the great roundup!
Joy T says
Do you have any suggestions for people who can’t wear heels? I love the look of booties, but I just can’t handle heels.
Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen says
I love a chelsea boot for those who can’t wear heels. I did a recap here: http://www.wardrobeoxygen.com/2014/09/fab-flat-boots-fall-chelsea-boot.html and a post on how to style now: http://www.wardrobeoxygen.com/2015/01/chelsea-boots-how-to-style.html hope that helps! 🙂
I am also a mostly no-heels gal these days, so I shall place these booties in my Fantasy Closet and keep my eyes open for some chelsea boots.
Due to a crushing foot injury, I cannot wear anything higher than 2″ or lower than 1 /14″, and pretty much stick with wedges that have a composite rubber sole. This winter I bought Jambu’s Cube wedge bootie and wear it several times a week with pants, or skirts/dresses & tights. If you like a more casual wedge, you might like Earth’s Hilltopper. Luckily the options out there continue to improve for those of us with problem feet.
Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen says
Thank you so much for sharing Karalane! I know others have similar issues, your recommendations are so valuable!
OMG those Vince Camuto Effels are the sexiest thing I have seen in forever. So hot and yet they are wedges that I could actually walk in.