The world doesn't need Ann Taylor. (Retail Dive)
Can concept stores survive the pandemic? (Vogue Business)
Is the DTC brand aesthetic bad for business? (Retail Dive)
Can High Fashion Change? The creative mind behind Valentino believes we all need beauty now — even if we can’t afford it. (Washington Post Magazine)
Fellow blogger Kristin Ulmer founded LNO Studios (LNO stands for Like No Other) to offer custom-fitting inclusive-sized wardrobe basics. The brand launched this week with their first piece – a high-waist straight leg trouser customized to your perfectly unique figure.
From the Mail Bag
Hi Alison, have you seen any nice velvet pantsuits this season? I have been looking and unless I want to spend thousands of dollars, I haven’t seen anything great. I suppose Corona dressing will be scaled down, but I’d wear a velvet suit at Christmas if I can find a nice one. Thanks!
We're finally seeing holiday fashion hit the retailers, and while many are focusing on festive loungewear, several still have traditional holiday fashion like a velvet pantsuit.
I think this is a great wardrobe addition as the two pieces work so beautifully as separates and pieces and it's a classic look that will be chic for many years to come. I own a green velvet pantsuit and have worn it beyond the holidays proving velvet isn't just for the month of December.
But let's get back to the question. Velvet suiting available at retailers now. Here are some that I have found in a great range of sizes and prices:
- Talbots is my favorite retailer for holiday fashion. I own several pieces from Talbots that are years old and still look stylish when I pull them out for the holidays. This year they have a black velvet pantsuit. I have this blazer in last year's version and it fits well and looks luxe. It is available in Talbots' full size range. These ankle pants match to create a chic velvet pantsuit. Here is the link for the same pants in plus sizes.
- Marée Pour Toi has a beautiful cranberry crushed velvet blazer and matching trousers. Plus sizes only.
- NYDJ has a velveteen blazer and a couple of styles of matching velveteen pants in black and olive green, available in sizes XXS-4X.
- LOFT has some cute velvet pieces but I haven't seen them in person and cannot guarantee they create a matched set. But they have this velvet tux blazer available up to size 18 and they show it styled with these wide leg trousers available up to XXL.
- Boden is another place that is a great holiday fashion destination. They have this velvet blazer in three colors and sizes to 20/22 and these matching velvet pants in regular and tall sizes to 20/22.
- Good American has a crushed velvet blazer up to 3XL and these matching wide leg trousers in the same size range. Both pieces are available in a deep merlot and black. For a suiting alternative, Good American also has these velour pants and matching belted top also available up to 3XL in the colors copper and black.
- ELOQUII has a pretty green velvet blazer and matching wide leg trousers. Plus sizes only.
- Chico's has a nice velvet jumpsuit available to XXL if you'd like an alternative.
Sale Alert: Prepping for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and all the Thanksgiving Weekend (and week after) Sales
Black Friday? Oh that's sooooo 2002. Now it's a whole week of deals, special online promos on Cyber Monday (the Monday after Thanksgiving), and much more. I plan on promoting some of these with a special Black Friday edition of The Friday Shop that will go live earlier than the usual 6:00 am ET so you can get your shop on.
I know of a few Cyber Monday deals already and will be sure to share those as well on that Sunday and/or Monday depending on how much intel I gather before the date.
I will continue to have “normal” content on most days, just as I have interspersing gift guides between outfit and advice posts. And I will continue to curate the sales to ones I think are worth your time and money while offering tips on what I think are the best purchases from those sales.
And for those looking to shop this weekend, some retailers have good deals going on before Thanksgiving:
Talbots has 40% off your purchase. I think it's clear by now that I am a major fan of Talbots and I think their current selection is great. Above are some looks wearing Talbots items currently available (though the colors may not still be available). However, these new arrivals are catching my eye:
- This rainbow stripe sweater and matching beanie
- These wide-leg pull-on velour pants in their full size range and a few different colors that is perfect for festive yet comfy dressing
- Festive knit tops like this long-sleeved graphic tee, this holiday Breton top, and this striped tee dotted with holly.
- Plaid pants, which will make anything from a black turtleneck to a denim shirt look festive. Here is the link to the same pants in plus sizes.
- Gorgeous coats like this one, and this one, and oooh look at this cape!
- I think I need this shirt in my closet, don't you? I mean how do I not already own it? Stripes and rainbows are so me!
Nordstrom has the jewelry brand Sterling Forever on sale through 12/9. Get 20% off what I find to be beautiful and well-priced jewelry, some that would make for fabulous gifts (like this zodiac bracelet).
Shopbop has a “Five Days of Shopbop” event that is starting today. Different promotions for different days. I am not at liberty to share the deals ahead of time, but today and tomorrow they're having a designer sale with up to 50% off select top labels. IMO Shopbop does a great job of curating their collection and this sale is worth checking out!
Rough & Tumble is a Maine-based bag company that I have loved since I got my first bag from them way back in… 2014? 2013? Anyway I still have the bag and love it. They have 20% off the entire site (premade, not custom) with promo code BF2020 but this sale ends at the end of today/Friday so hop on this ASAP!
Macy's has a pre-Black Friday event with an extra 20% off with promo code SCORE. This sale ends November 23rd.