A few of you have asked about my skincare routine. I am by no means an expert, but I am pretty happy with my current routine.
In the morning, I wipe my face with Thayer’s Rose Witch Hazel. This gets off any sweat, non-absorbed night cream, and that little bit of mascara that ends up under your eyes even though you thought you got off all your makeup the night before.
Then I apply eye cream – I am currently using The Body Shop’s Vitamin E Eye Cream. I used to use it back when I worked for the company but switched to higher-end formulas and types with treatments for dark circles, puffiness, or aging. I got this as a free sample with a beauty purchase and I must say I am digging it again – it absorbs quickly, seems to reduce puffiness, and keep the eye area soft and hydrated.
I then take a scoop of Philosophy’s Vitamin C Turbo Booster and put it in the palm of my hand, and add two pumps of the L’Oreal Youth Code Serum. Mix together, and rub into skin until fully absorbed. I’ve been using the Philosophy powder for a little over a year and I think it has made my skin look better, and I think it also helps protect it from further damage. Once absorbed, I add my SPF moisturizer. Right now I am using Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair and like it – no irritation, not greasy, and SPF 30.
In the evening, I add two pumps of DHC Deep Cleansing Oil to my hand and rub over my face. I give myself a bit of a face massage during this, massaging upwards to get in the pores and boost circulation. Then I use Avene Thermal Spring Water to remove it. I spray the water on my face and use a cotton round to remove it. It usually takes 2-3 sprays to get everything off. I then apply the same Body Shop eye cream.
For years I have used ROC Deep Wrinkle Night Cream off and on, and always wonder why I stray. Reasonable price, doesn’t irritate, and I think makes my skin look better. Lately I have been switching between ROC and Arcona’s The Solution because I got it as a free sample and like it. I rub it in until fully absorbed, and then apply night cream. Usually I use Olay Regenrist (or the CVS version), but I also got a free sample of Caudalie Premier Cru which is ah-may-zing but not in my budget so I pamper myself with it once a week or so.
GOING GREEN: While you can use cotton balls, rounds or even sturdy toilet paper to apply skincare products, I highly recommend reusable cotton rounds – they work just as well, save you money and reduce waste. Just toss in your laundry, they get softer with time. You can find some great ones on Etsy.
Though this is my standard daytime and evening regimen, I do play with other products:
- Clarisonic Mia and CeraVe: This is the combo my husband and I use in the shower. If I am showering at night or before going out, I will use this combo to do a deep cleaning.
- Mary Kay TimeWise Microdermabrasion Kit: I received this free a couple months ago and do it once or twice a month to give my skin a glow.
- The Body Shop Vitamin E Mist: I keep this beside my bed to add some extra hydration, use it to set makeup or make my face a bit moist before applying foundation, and always carry it when flying to hydrate on the plane.
- Vaseline: It is also beside my bed. I add to my lips before I go to sleep, and if I have dry patches on my face I’ve been known to slap it on them as well to heal as I sleep.
- Toothpaste: I am allergic to salicylic acid, which is unfortunate because that stuff will clear up a zit like nobody’s business. Nothing else I have tried is anywhere as good… except old fashioned toothpaste. I’ll put a blob on before bed and wake up to a zit that is 90% gone.
What are your favorite skincare products?