I love Nordstrom. Great selection of brands and sizes, great customer service in stores and online, free shipping and returns, and when I worked retail it was the most serene place in a mall. My morning coffee drink came from their Espresso Bar, my afternoon salad from their Café, and my shoe wardrobe and made up face from their fabulous staff on the main floor. I got rid of all my store credit cards years ago but held onto my Nordstrom card because of the perks. Reward notes for cash off purchases, free alterations, exclusive in-store events… and early entry to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale which starts July 18th!
Last Thursday I shopped the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale early, but in a different frame of mind from previous years. Usually I use it as Back to School shopping, plotting out my personal style and wardrobe for the upcoming seasons, choosing pieces that will become signature. My blue leather and green leather jackets and my pleated leather skirt are all previous Anniversary Sale purchases.
But this year? I’m going to work as much as I can with what I already have. I think back and really LIKE what I already own, so I only need a couple things to fill holes and incorporate a couple trends. So here’s what I purchased:
- Halogen Flared Ponte Skirt: I bought a similar ponte skirt from Halogen last year and wore the HECK out of it. So much, it's covered with pills and stretched out. At only $29.90 I figured I could splurge on a replacement.
- BP. Print Tassel Trim Poncho: I'll buy a whole wardrobe of great work and going out clothes and then realize I'm freezing and have to take Emerson to dance class or just want to throw on a layer when watching TV. Depending on the quality and fit, this could also be a Casual Friday look with a merino sweater, jeans and boots. Only $24.90.
- DKNY Lace Curves Shaping Brief: I love these things, they don't suck in as much as Spanx, but smooth the belly enough for slightly clingy dresses and to give a good shape with skirts and trousers. They're comfortable and cute too! The lace back prevents VPL. With one arm, I've ended up stretching out my black one so I'm getting a replacement at the $13.90 sale price.
- Nordstrom Heritage Collection Logo Tea Towel: I DID say I loved Nordstrom! I also love dish towels, and apple green is one of the accent colors in my kitchen. At just $6.70 I couldn't resist!
That's not to say there aren't a heck of a lot of other amazing items that are part of the sale, just things I don't need right now. However these guys caught my eye for being great deals (all under $100), great staples, or great pieces to update your wardrobe for the fall and winter. Catch them while they're still available!
- Halogen Seamed Pencil Skirt: Regular and Petite sizes, classic neutrals and some fun shades for fall. On sale for $45.90
- Vince Camuto Skinny Ankle Pants: Classic cut, available in black and gray. On sale for $52.90
- Vince Camuto Stretch Trousers (Plus): A classic black pant that gets good reviews. On sale for $55.90
- Bellatrix Pleat Neck Long Sleeve Blouse: Always nice to have tops like these to wear under a suit, on their own with trousers or a pencil skirt, or even dress down with jeans for the weekend. Regular and petite sizes, five classic colors, and on sale for $44.90.
- Nordstrom Everyday Opaque Tights: My very favorite tights, they're uber durable, a good weight, and don't dig in at the waist. Black, brown, navy and plum on sale for $9.90
- Halogen Ponte Skater Skirt (Plus): As you saw from my purchases, I love Halogen ponte skirts! Reviews are positive, on sale $45.90
- Sejour ‘Charcoal Crosshatch' Suit Jacket (Plus): A suit jacket under $100? Also in a classic color that works with black, cream, and colors. $98.90
- Adrianna Papell Pleated Matte Jersey Sheath Dress: A great basic that can dress up for a wedding or pair with pumps for the office. Travel-friendly fabric that can be worn three seasons of the year and figure-flattering pleating. $64.90.
- Halogen Belted Cap Sleeve Pleat Dress: Another dress that is perfect for work or play; wear alone for the warmer months and pair with a cardigan come winter. While I linked to the basic black, it also comes in prints (regular and petite for both) and there's a Plus version in print and black. $78.90 regular, $91.90 plus.
- Vince Camuto Straight Leg Pants: A classic work trouser, available in regular and petite lengths, black and gray. $52.90
- Sejour Merino Wool Cardigan (Plus): In navy and plum and with a texture that keeps it versatile but not boring. On sale for $64.90
- Hanky Panky Retro Vikini Briefs: I raved about these before, and it's great a few sizes and colors are on sale for $21.90
- Jag Jeans ‘Peri” Pull-On Straight Leg Jeans: I have these and love how the waistband doesn't dig or add bulk under untucked knits. Classic color, regular and petite lengths, on sale for $45.90.
- Karen Kane Cascade Wrap Dress: I have this dress and it is comfortable, wrinkle-free, flattering, and versatile. On sale for $71.90.
- Cara Spike Hinge Cuff: I've been wearing the heck out of my Rebecca Minkoff cuff (also on sale!) which is a similar concept. This one is available in silver, gold, and hematite and on sale for $17.90.
- Kendra Scott “Deanna” Pendant Necklace: An elegant and classic necklace that looks hip now but stylish for years to come. Available in six different colors, on sale for $51.90.
- Halogen ‘Marlie' Calf Hair Pointy Toe Pump: Gosh I wanted to justify buying these shoes! However, I already own a very similar pair. I own a pair of Halogen shoes and find them pretty decent quality and they hold up well. Two leopard prints to choose from plus berry and black. $59.90
- Tasha Chain Mesh Collar Necklace: I was THISCLOSE to buying this myself, and will likely regret not snagging it. Totally badass, available in gold, hematite, and silver and on sale for $37.90
- Hobo ‘Zara' Patent Leather Crossbody: My sister has this bag and it's the perfect size to carry all your need without bulk; it's become her Night Out bag and I'm tempted to snag one for myself. Black, Camel, Red, and on sale for $64.90.
- Halogen Leather Crossbody Bag: I love a good leather bag that's free of logos and trendy details. This bag is one you can have an enjoy for many years without looking dated. Black, blue, and camel on sale for $78.90.
- Louise et Cie ‘Azalya' Mini Wedge Flat: Gray leopard calfhair with a cute bow detail, a tiny wedge that makes it even nicer for the office. Medium and wide widths available. $69.90
- BP. ‘Burton' Moto Boot: A cool looking knee-high leather boot under $100. $89.90
Incorporating New Trends and Silhouettes:
- Bellatrix Faux Wrap Front Blouse: I've written before about draped tops, and I think they're great on their own, or under a blazer. I have a Bellatrix blouse and find the quality nice; this top comes in basic black and five fun prints and is on sale for $39.90.
- Chelsea28 Fit & Flare Skirt: Another item I was THISCLOSE to purchasing. The midi skirt is still hot for fall, and looks so cute with simple sweaters. The creamy color will modernize the black and gray currently in your closet. $58.90
- Vince Camuto Lace Panel Cardigan (Plus): So simple, but the lace detail really takes your outfit up a notch. $88.90
- KUT from the Kloth ‘Lincoln' Faux Leather Drape Front Jacket: A great way to jazz up weekend knits or wear as a soft jacket to the office. It also gets good reviews on the site. Available in black and chocolate and on sale for $59.90.
- Foxcroft Graphic Jaquard Cardigan (Plus): I love the preppy print and can see it on the weekend with a Breton tee and jeans and at work with a simple shell and trousers. I have a Foxcroft cardigan and find them very well made. $76.90
- Halogen Leather Front Shell: Buy this for me, because I want it soooo bad! Pair with jeans, a pleated chiffon skirt, a pencil skirt, under a cream blazer. Regular and petite sizes, $98.90.
- Sejour ‘Metropolitan' Faux Leather Front Peplum Top (Plus): Ignore how it says peplum, it's more of a fit and flare. This top could be paired with a pencil skirt for work or rocked for evening with black skinny pants or dark jeans and heels. $78.90