Since it's Memorial Day weekend, I am publishing Weekend Reads a day early. I plan to take some time off from the screens and hope you do too! However, I know that there are some fantastic sales this weekend so I'm sharing my picks. This will be the biggest part of the Weekend Reads this weekend because there are some awesome sales going down. As usual, I won't share ALL of them, just the ones I'd take advantage of myself. Please note these are sales I was informed of says before this posting; if the codes or promos are not working let me know so I can update accordingly.
Saatva mattress is offering $75 off at checkout. They told me you have to use this custom link to access this promotion which lasts through Memorial Day weekend; a banner will be at the top of the site notifying you of the discount and it will show up when you check out. Check out my Saatva mattress review; we still adore our mattress and find it incredibly comfortable yet supportive. Saatva has come out with two new mattresses since my review; the Solaire lets you control the firmness with the touch of a button, the HD mattress is engineered to support sleepers over 250 pounds with Saatva's medium-firm comfort level. They are having a promotion this weekend with $200 off either of these two new Saatva mattresses. Again, you have to use this specific link to get the promo. I have not tried any Saatva mattress other than the one I own but I truly am impressed by the quality, customer service, delivery, and comfort.
Boden rarely has sales, but this weekend Boden is offering 30% off your entire purchase plus receive free shipping and returns with code C7R2b. What a score! It's hard to pick from Boden because everything is super cute and I love their fit and quality, but if I haaaaave to choose:
- The brown dotted version of this dress is so Pretty Woman in a good way, but I love the solid options as well. Great work to wedding kind of dress.
- A similar neckline in a sleeveless blouse that looks polished at work but also cute with capris or shorts for the weekend.
- I love dresses like this for summer. Wear as a dress with heeled sandals and gold hoops, pair with denim cutoffs and Birkenstocks, come fall style with skinny or flared jeans.
- Nothing better than a crisp shirtdress for spring and summer. A print helps hide creases and sweat from the heat and humidity and a silhouette like this is great with flats or heels!
- Switch up your ankle pants for some wide-legged culottes for a moden silhouette and more airflow on hot summer days. Equally as polished in the workplace and in my opinion, easier to dress up for an evening affair.
- I love the size and classic shape of this bag; all are great but I'm really digging the snakeskin and the gold options!
- Boden makes graphic tees that are both cute and made with a flattering cut. FYI if between sizes go down, I find they are sized generously.
- The Ravello Top is amazing, I've owned several over the years. Looks like silk, cut to fit curves, machine washable, looks good tucked in or left out, never goes out of style.
- And finally, Boden is famous for their Breton tops. This is the link for the long-sleeved version, the link for the short-sleeved version. Again, I recommend if unsure to size down.
Talbots has a great promotion this weekend – 40% off a single item or 50% off two or more! Use promo code SUMMER. My picks:
- Their Classic Summer Blazer is, well a classic! Clean lines, great colors, amazing size range.
- This dotted poplin sleeveless shirtdress is a summer staple – wear with a cardigan and flats to work, with sandals on the weekend, add fun earrings and a statement color shoe for a christening or wedding.
- I had the chance to see a preview of Talbots' summer collection, saw this dress and fell in love. While writing this post the dress arrived in the mail as a gift from Talbots so expect to see me wear it soon!
- Get a jumpstart on the 4th of July and nab this red, white, and blue Breton this weekend.
- I love Talbots suiting and this corded-stripe blazer and matching pants are the kind you can dress up with a pink cami and heels, dress down with sneakers and a graphic tee, or rock at the office with loafers and a silky shell.
- I own this seersucker blazer and matching pants; you can see me wear it in this post. I recommend if between sizes to go down with the pants as they do stretch with wear.
- I had last year's version of this woven circle bag and loved it… except for the navy leather trim and seersucker border which didn't go with my wardrobe. This year's version is far more versatile.
- Did you know that Talbots carries wide-width and narrow-width shoes? I recently got these sandals in Sand and they're the perfect low-contrast neutral with just a hint of lift that goes with pants, shorts, and dresses of all lengths.
Gap is offering 40% off everything with promo code READY; sale through the 28th. I have the most success with Gap this time of year, they really excel with casual summer style. My picks:
- When it's hot and muggy out, the last thing you want to put on is a pair of fitted jeans or pants, amirite? Gap has some great looking pants that are humidity-friendly. Their high-rise Mariner jeans remind me of my now sold out AE jeans. Culottes are back, but they're not the a-line goofy ones of the '80s. This pair is more like a divided skirt and would look great with a lightweight linen sweater, a simple tee or tank, or a graphic tee. This pair is a bit more polished and would work in many office environments while still being comfy on the weekend. If you desire less volume, a pair of linen joggers are a great alternative.
- Gap has some other great pieces that won't cling as the heat and humidity increases. This Tencel dress is the perfect thing to throw on when it's so hot you don't want to wear anything. This chambray shell has style but won't stick to you in the heat. Tuck in to navy or ivory trousers at work and on the weekend pair with shorts, a linen midi skirt, white jeans, wide-leg cropped trousers and more. This linen shirtdress is the kind of dress that actually looks chic when rumpled. And one dress trend you'll see everywhere this summer is the apron dress; this one is a classic version that comes in three styles.
- Gap also has great accessories. This crossbody saddle bag is classic and I love the Red Poppy color. I adore this tote, and think it's perfect for the pool or beach. And this packable straw Panama hat is a classic and far cheaper than department store brands.
Chico's has 40% off tees, crops, shorts, and dresses through the 27th. My picks:
- For crops, I love their Brigittes for clean lines, good fit, maintaining shape all day. Comes in a great range of colors too.
- For shorts, if you like a longer length, I find these 10″ shorts from them a nice fit, clean polished finish, and great colors to choose from.
- For tees, I have this graphic one and it's super cute and a great weight. Their slub tees have the modern look without the transparency and wash up great.
- For dresses, this black knit dress is a summer staple that can dress up and down with ease and is travel-friendly. The same dress in red. I also love the look of this striped shirtdress, and this jumpsuit is super cute.
Word is going around that Dress Barn is closing all their stores. However, they are still available online and they have some great promos for the weekend! Use SUN30 for 30% off your entire purchase. They also have 50% off full-price dresses and full-price bottoms and tops starting at just $19.99. My picks?
- They have some great dresses for upcoming graduations and weddings. This navy one with a chiffon overlay skirt is elegant, this floral scuba fabric fit and flare can go from work to wedding, this polka-dot midi dress can do the same and is a fabric and print that will work three seasons, this romantic floral dress is begging for a date night, this is a great shirtdress for work with flats or the weekend with sandals or a pair of trendy sneakers, and this is the jumpsuit I recently wore on the blog (FYI I have it in size 14).
- I have heard from many that the Dress Barn Secret Agent pants are amazing. They come in short and long lengths, plus sizes, and a variety of silhouettes. This link takes you to all of their Secret Agent pants.
Banana Republic has 40% off, no promo code needed. I am loving the graphic tees they have this season. This dotted shirtdress is summer perfection, I love this red cotton/linen blazer and matching pants, and adore this rainbow striped boatneck.
J. Crew has 40% off with promo code SHOP40. J. Crew is great for cool graphic tees like this one with flamingos embroidered on it or this one with the Great Lakes. I love their ribbed scoop for full midi or maxi skirts or slouchy linen pants. And you know I love a striped shirt and this reminds me of the candy Fruit Stripe from when I was a kid!
Ann Taylor is also offering 40% off with promo code SUMMERTIME. They have some amazing summer dresses that are perfect for work, travel, and social events. My favorites are this blue tie-front dress in matte jersey, this wrap sheath dress in my favorite color, this Ikat-print belted wrap dress, and this short-sleeved wrap dress in two colors.
And in case you missed it, this post has my picks from the Nordstrom Half-Yearly Sale.
“Be a weed — then you belong to everywhere or anywhere.” Advice from a 102-year-old painter who didn't begin painting until after her husband's death. (ABC News)
A study reports that your freezing cold office may be affecting your productivity more than your male colleagues. (The Atlantic)
Today is National Sunscreen Day; the Environmental Working Group has come out with their 2019 guide to the best sunscreens. This link will help you find the best sunscreen for your specific needs. (EWG)
The Fyre Festival, Dirty John, Elizabeth Holmes… there have been a lot of scam artists that have been in the news. Why are we drawn to such stories? (The Cut)
One in five women are raped. Let that sink in. The stat of one in four women have an abortion has been all over the news this week, but it's not reported that abortion rates are steadily declining with the increased access to a variety of birth control methods. But the stat of one in five women being raped isn't declining. A must-read from a woman who was raped and had an abortion. No matter your thoughts on this topic, this is a well-written, well-researched yet personal and beautifully written piece. (New York Times)
I have a subscription to The New York Times, The Washington Post, and Business of Fashion. I have them for my job, but also to support quality journalism which is being attacked from every angle. Journalists are underpaid and underrespected. However, I know not everyone can afford such memberships. I regularly share pieces from these sites because I trust them and they offer quality writing and research; something that continues to be rarer on the Internet. If you cannot afford memberships or have hit your max free views of a news site for the month, you may appreciate this piece on how to get past paywalls. (Medium)
For Your Entertainment
“No, I won't smile, but I'll show you my teeth, And I'ma let you speak if you just let me breathe. I've been polite, but won't be caught dead, lettin' a man tell me what I should do in my bed.” The latest from Halsey with a few cameos including the incomparable Debbie Harry.