While I begin Weekend Reads the day after the last one is published, I wait until Friday afternoon to write this blurb at the top. When I started a draft for this post to start dropping articles I found this week, I figured I'd write about the end of a year, the end of a decade, the goals for 2020. And now it's 11pm and I've deleted what I've had here three times.
I think you all are really intelligent, and that makes me so damn proud. This is a weird job, and it's one that can fuck with your mind, your ego, and your confidence. But one thing that both keeps me going and keeps me honest is knowing that really intelligent women choose to read Wardrobe Oxygen. And I just don't want to throw out some cliché shit about this decade. My brain is already preparing a packing list for our trip to the lake for the remainder of the year. One of the things I've learned this past decade is to rest when tired. No one likes a rest martyr and the older you get the more you need it. I'm bowing out from the beginning blurb here but will be back next weekend all perky and opinionated and this coming week I'll share my thoughts about 2019, 2020, and the future.
There are so many good sales going on right now!
Soma has their Semi-Annual Sale with items up to 70% off. This is THE TIME to shop, and you can access everything on sale at this link. However my picks from what I actually own:
- I have this robe. I am obsessed with this robe. I also have and adore this robe which is so luxe.
- I love Soma pajamas, their Embraceable and Cool Nights are both high quality, comfortable, and beautiful. I have these cropped pants and short-sleeve top and wore them all summer long. Sizes are limited, I also love this top and these pants from the same fabric but different print. For fall and now, I am wearing these pants and this top.
- This summer I shared how to style a Soma dress multiple ways; the black version is sold out but I love this print version of the same dress.
- This summer my most-worn bathing suit was this Miraclesuit one from Soma. You can see it on me here and here. I got the DD cup version, but this is the standard sized one and here it is in a different color.
- I also tried this suit which was uber chic but would look far better on someone with a smaller bust and more of a pear shape.
- This is the only strapless bra I have ever found to lift, separate, offer good shape and be comfortable for several hours. I bought two more with this sale.
- This is one of my favorite bras of all time. This one is also a favorite – it is the best for lifting and great when it's hot out!
- This is the prettiest bra I've found for large busts. And this is a fantastic bra for all sizes – it's practically weightless and comfortable all day while also smoothing the back.
Everlane has its annual Choose What You Pay Event and it's the best time to shop the brand. You can shop the entire sale at this link. I have this sweater (see it on me here), this dress (see it on me here), and this purse (seen here).
Nordstrom has their Half-Yearly Sale and it's a lot of items to wear now – slippers, sweaters, boots, and outerwear. I am not going to do a post specifically on the sale because I don't think anything in the sale is revolutionary. If you are looking for some wardrobe staples to update your winter wardrobe, visit the sale. If you have certain beauty brands you love, visit the sale. Below are the items I feel are a good buy to wear now and beyond:
- This is a great sale for coats. I love Bernardo coats and this one is very similar to one I've owned for years (plus sizes). The berry color of this Bernardo one is fantastic (plus sizes). And this packable parka comes in seven colors (regular sizes). This down and feather-filled long parka with a shearling lining from Lauren Ralph Lauren is sleek, chic, and looks quite warm (regular and petite). From Sam Edelman, this water-resistant hooded parka comes in five colors and gets great reviews. This longer parka also from Sam Edelman comes in eight colors and also gets good reviews.
- This sale is great for getting sparkly festive things to build a dressy or holiday capsule wardrobe for the future. This faux fur in plus sizes is just what you wish you owned for dressy occasions or that fun bachelorette party. And this longer faux fur (also plus sizes) would look chic with everything from jeans to cocktail dresses. This pretty foil-dot chiffon skirt is the type you put on with a graphic tee and denim jacket, a black turtleneck, a cashmere crew, or a cami for spring. It is also available in plus sizes. This crepe shell comes in two fabulous options and is chic under a blazer or worn with black ankle pants and fab earrings to a festive event (plus sizes only). This feather-trimmed ponte top is under $50 and a subtle way to look festive and dressy three seasons of the year. Pair with jeans and flats, velvet pants and dressy loafers, or with ivory trousers and sparkly heels.
- I'm a fan of Zella leggings and several are on sale including this pair with pockets, these high-waist ones in a gorgeous green (which are also available in plus size), and these with back pockets and woven front panels to transition better from gym to street.
- And for some good shoes to wear now and a year from now, you can't go wrong with Saltwaters or classic Timbs.
- And finally, this is my favorite everyday t-shirt bra and it's NEVER on sale.
Lands' End has a sale with up to 60% off with promo code HOLIDAYS.
- This is a great time to replace your current winter coat that isn't satisfactory or prepare for next year. Their wool peacoat is classic, chic, available in lengths and plenty of colors and is on sale for less than $60. This down coat with a faux fur hood is long enough to be comfortable sitting on a cold bench, comes in lengths, lots of colors, and is on sale for $101.99. The plus size version also comes in plus petite and on sale for $125.99. Lands' End Winter Squall Parka is a classic, comes in tall and petite, and on sale for less than $72.00. If you're a city commuter, you can benefit from a long parka like this one which comes in regular, petite, and tall and is on sale for $119.99. And this longer packable down parka is on sale for less than $100 and comes in some beautiful colors as well as regular, petite, and tall options.
If you're looking for a new book, NPR's list of the best books of 2019 is a great place to start. (NPR)
Another New Year's resolution you may wish to do is making your phone more secure; this provides some simple ways to do it. (New York Times)
Ever wonder why some old movies you can easily find online to stream, and others from the past seem to have disappeared? This article delves into the reasons why. (GQ)
I know many of you have wanted to love the Rothys flats but found them too narrow. While they're not made from recycled water bottles, these knit pointed-toe flats from Naturalizer are a great alternative, are under $90 and come in two widths.
Our current healthcare in America is broken, and this piece is a perfect example. For those who prefer to listen instead of read, both are available at this link. (NPR)
A good read before you make your New Year's resolution: the false promise of morning routines. (The Atlantic)
DC represent! Despite the hype from such places as L.A., the nation’s capital is the foodie town everyone should pay attention to. (Bloomberg)
Everlane employees are unionizing. There have been several articles similar to this with different small businesses and I can't think of any better solution than unions. (Vice)
I must say I am fascinated by and scared to read Lauren Greenfield’s new book of photography, “Generation Wealth.” (New Yorker) . As an FYI, there is also a documentary on Amazon Prime of the same name also by Greenfield.
After sharing that Vox piece on #okboomer in last weekend's reads, Mariana, a self-proclaimed boomer, shared this article in the comments and it is worth a read. (The Washington Post)
And a good reminder as we go into a new year, a new decade, and a new attitude – is it cultural appropriation? (Rewire)
For Your Entertainment
And for your ears and eyes this weekend, a sweet little video from Ed Sheeran featuring the fabulous Ella Mai and some of the loveliest couples from around the globe dancing together.