This article may contain affiliate links; if you click on a shopping link and make a purchase I may receive a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I know, Nordstrom seems to have these big sales all the time, but they’re soooo good! And this one has up to 40% off a lot of things that are useful and versatile and quite chic. This sale ends September 11th, so shop while you can. Bypass the summer stuff, here’s the items you can wear now and throughout the season and beyond.
Boots are always a fall and winter favorite and perennially chic. This year, switch out wearing your boots with jeggings and a puffer vest (so very Han Solo) and try the boots with a midi skirt or replace the puffer vest for a romantic blouse with ruffles, lacing, or lace. My picks currently on sale:
Shop My Picks for Shoes:
- Blondo waterproof riding boot – um, hello waterproof leather! Classic style that will be chic for years! And all this fabulousness for less than $200!
- Suede is hot hot hot this fall, and nothing is more versatile than a suede ankle bootie (I have a pair and wear them ALL THE TIME). Wear with boyfriend or girlfriend jeans, tee shirt dresses, skinny jeans (cuff them up to show a sliver of ankle), midi skirts, tights, bare legs, you name it! The ‘Tandra’ from Jessica Simpson comes in five different delicious colors and is under $100.
- Want more suede? How about these gorgeous riding boots from Born? They come in regular and wide calf shaft sizes, four colors, and are less than $180!
- I think the most versatile shoe is a delicate ankle strap heel in nude, black, or a soft metallic. You can wear them to glam up jeans, yet they’ll look great with virtually every dress in your closet. Even if they’re basic leather, they can look formal due to their silhouette. This one from Vince Camuto is pretty perfect and less than $60! This link has the same shoe in a bunch of other colors and finishes, same price and lots of positive customer reviews!
- Another pretty ankle strap shoe, with a slower heel and lower ankle strap, in gold metallic from MICHAEL Michael Kors and less than $70.
- If you’d prefer a lower, thicker heel (block heels are back in style this fall!), this ankle strap shoe from Glint is fabulous and less than $55!
- Speaking of block heels, this pointed-toe block heel pump from Stuart Weitzman is all sorts of amazing. Wearable heel height, two widths available, and three croco-embossed shades (I’m partial to the blue!). On sale 33% off.
- The ‘Juliana’ pump from Cole Haan is classic, chic, a walkable heel height, and receives rave reviews. A black leather option is on sale right now for less than $100 – snag while it’s still available!
- The ‘Juliana 45’ from Cole Haan is equally chic, but with an even lower heel. Two classic colors available and also on sale for less than $100.
- Looking for comfort without lacking style? Check out these black suede wedge booties from Dr. Scholl’s. Inspired by a Chelsea boot, this shoe pulls on, has a squishy sole for support and comfort, and the suede will mold to your foot for a custom fit after a few wears. On sale for less than $55. Click this link to get them in brown and this link for them in charcoal wool.
- The lace-up shoe trend from summer is continuing into fall. This ghille pump from Sam Edelman is so chic, it will be stylish even after the trend retires. Available in seven different colors, you can find one perfect for your fall wardrobe. On sale for less than $100.
- The ‘90s are back and it’s clear by this fall’s footwear trends. This is a good thing for those who crave comfort as moldable suede, low block heels, and wider round and square toes are en vogue. Get the trend with these clay-colored suede shoes from Calvin Klein. An Ankle strap keeps it delicate, but a low block heel and rounded toe keeps it comfy for all-day wear. Wear with work dresses, a midi dress on the weekend, or style with a pair of cuffed jeans and slouchy sweater for the weekend. On sale for less than $100.
- These gold wedge pumps from Cole Haan are perfect for garden weddings and outdoor affairs, but can also look amazing at work with trousers or a night out with everything from dresses to denim. On sale for less than $200, you’ll be glad you have these in your closet.
- Another waterproof leather boot, this black riding boot from Aquatalia has its entire back elasticized for a custom fit on a variety of calf widths. On sale 40% off.
- Get the effect of a popular designer horse bit loafer without the high pricetag. This elegant loafer from Louise et Cie comes in four different colors and is on sale for less than $85.
- United Nude makes some of the most badass footwear, but the price is often out of many’s reach. These silver ankle booties with a cutout heel will make even a simple tee and jeans a statement and will be a pair of shoes you’ll reach for year after year. Even better, they’re on sale 40% off!
- Continuing with the crazy fun yet wearable style shoes, check out these convertible mule loafers from Jeffrey Campbell. In sparkly silver, you can fold down the soft back and turn them into slip-on shoes! How awesome would these be peeking out of work trousers or styled with every silhouette of denim? These don’t have to be formal, they’d look amazing with jeans and a Breton tee! On sale for less than $80.
- And another badass shoe in a wearable height and reasonable price! Check out this Dalmatian-print calfhair wedge bootie from Matisse! I am totally in love, and want to wear them with black tights and a solid dress, with cuffed jeans, and right now with bare legs and a denim dress! On sale 33% off.
- Looking for the perfect travel shoe? Desire a flat that’s comfortable, comes in a variety of widths, and isn’t frumptastic? Check out these Mary Jane-style flats from Softwalk. The reviews confirm they’re super comfy, and I love how some have a studded strap for funky interest. Available in five different colors and on sale for less than $90.
More than ever, outerwear is making statements and completing outfits. Look for great colors, strong shoulders, unique details, shearling, and the return of suede. However, classic outerwear styles like trenches, peacoats, dusters, and utility jackets are still chic.
Shop My Picks for Outerwear:
- If you don’t already own a black (faux or real) leather biker or moto jacket you need to this season. It is THE jacket to wear as fall outerwear or in place of a blazer or denim jacket. Topshop is known for making hot trends accessible, and this faux leather biker is right on trend and right on the money for only $60.
- If you’re petite, Topshop has this faux leather biker jacket that’s just as awesome looking and on sale for just under $46.
- I own this coat from Bernardo in black and wore it all winter long (see here) so I am biased. I even bought it during this sale. It’s a pretty fabulous coat. While it’s not made for sub-zero temps, it kept me warm through a DC winter and I only switched to my water- and wind-proof Lands’ End Squall Parka when there was actual snow or sleet. Plus sizes only, 30% off.
- For the past few falls, oxblood (or wine, or burgundy, or merlot, or…) has been a hot color. It’s a beautiful alternative to black or brown and flattering to many skintones. Add an oxblood leather coat to your basic tee and jeans and suddenly your wardrobe is ready for fall. This quilted leather moto jacket from Bernardo comes in black, but clearly I’m partial to it in Ruby Wine. On sale 33% off.
- Another leather jacket in this color, this time a more sleek and elegant option from Classiques Entier that could easily replace a blazer for the workplace. This would look so chic over a grey sheath dress. It also comes in black, regular and petite sizes, and on sale 40% off.
- Thank you Via Spiga for making the same exact jacket available in the same fabulous colors for plus sizes as well as standard! This single-breasted trench has a hood, is lined and water resistant, so it’s functional as well as fashionable. Four colors to choose from, I am partial to citrus – be the sunshine on a cloudy day! While the plus size is a bit more expensive, they are both 33% off. Click this link for the plus size option. Click this link for the standard size option.
- I have a utility jacket similar to this one from MICHAEL Michael Kors and I can’t recommend one enough. Water repellent, detachable hood, plenty of pockets, and the ability to cinch to waist to stop wind but also flatter the figure. A travel must, but also great for weekends! Regular and petite sizes and two colors available. 33% off.
- This rain jacket from Cole Haan is a similar concept and in a gorgeous eggplant color. I love the gold hardware and love that it’s machine washable. Plus sizes only, on sale for less than $130.
- Shearling is back this fall, and this faux shearling coat from Marc New York does it in a luxe and modern way. Available in two colors, I love the shawl color detail! 33% off.
- Sometimes it’s hard to find classic pieces in plus sizes. Why do they always add weird embellishments or put them in off silhouettes? If you’ve been looking for a classic trench, London Fog has you covered. Available in black or stone with classic horn buttons, epaulets, and wrist buckles, this trench has a removable liner and will be chic for years to come. On sale for less than $150.
Summer is a great time for tiny bags to hold only the essentials. However, when the temps drop it makes sense to have a bigger bag that can carry more, keep it protected, and keep your hands free. Classic shoulder bags and pocketbooks are back in style, while the bucket, satchel, feed bag, and hobo is still a good choice. While it’s easy to pick black, a bag is a great way to show personality and a unique color is an unexpected neutral that will go with all the shoes, belts, and outfits in your closet.
Shop My Picks for Bags:
- This leather hobo from Rebecca Minkoff is classic with an edge. First glance it looks pretty basic, but the fringe zipper pull and studs along the side keep it cool and edgy. Two colors available and 40% off!
- Sales like these are when you can get hot designers for much less. This chic minimalistic tote from ALLSAINTS has such clean lines it will be stylish for years to come. The camel color works year round and complements black and brown. On sale 40% off, it’s a hair over $200; an amazing price for a piece that will make your wardrobe basics look luxe.
- Hobo wallets are the best. I was foolish enough to trade in my worn Hobo wallet for one by Fossil and it’s not nearly as well designed. I’m seriously considering getting this snakeskin one; it’s a fabulous size, has all the essential pockets, and is a color and texture that will be easy to find at the bottom of your bag. 50% off.
- There’s something so versatile about a printed, textured crossbody. My Rebecca Minkoff calfhair Mini Mac was a Nordstrom sale purchase and I have gotten years of stylish wear from it. This printed calfhair bag from COACH 1941 is so unique, it looks expensive, but it’s not full of trends. This is a bag that will garner compliments in 2016 and 2026 and is on sale 40% off.
- Vince Camuto makes brilliantly designed handbags – pockets in all the right places, perfect length straps, and styles that won’t be passé in a season. This crossbody is all that and more and available in basic black as well as on-trend burgundy. 50% off.
- A perfect black leather crossbody, so simple, so minimalist, so chic. It’s even more fabulous when you realize it’s on sale for less than $50!
Sales like these are perfect to nab one of those versatile dresses that can work for last minute social events but can also dress up or down. Crepe, silk, matte jersey… these are fabrics that with a switch of shoes and accessories can go from desk to drinks to the dancefloor.
Shop My Picks for Dresses:
- This Vince Camuto dress is what inspired me to write this sale post. Fit and flare, three-quarter sleeves which work almost year round, a crepe finish that dresses up and down with ease, regular and petite sizes, eight colors to choose from and POCKETS! This is a wardrobe workhorse and it’s on sale for less than $90.
- Another crepe dress, this short-sleeved sheath from Eliza J gets rave reviews, comes in three fabulous colors, is perfect for the office but with a sparkly necklace and some ankle strap heels you’re ready for a wedding or holiday party. All this for 40% off!
- This plus-sized short sleeve ponte sheath dress from Sejour is perfect for work, but add a sparkly belt or necklace and some statement shoes and you’re ready to party. Basic black, but awesome autumnal oxbood red shade is also available. On sale for less than $80.
- Sweater dresses are on trend this fall; this grey ribbed one from Caslon is a classic silhouette that will remain stylish even after the trend is over. Regular and petite sizes and on sale for less than $40.
- Another fit and flare, this black dress from Maggy London steals the show with a lace bodice and sheer lace short sleeves. Lace so pretty, you don’t have to worry about a necklace for a dressy event. Wear this with black tights and ankle booties, with ankle strap heels and a silk clutch, a leather biker jacket and a pair of sneakers, black sheer hose and pumps… it’s your not-so little black dress that you never knew you needed. Regular and petite sizes and priced for less than $90.
- You know holiday season is around the corner. Instead of frantically buying something ANYTHING for that December cocktail party or work event, shop now with serenity, and sale prices! This lace and faille dress from Eliza J is a classic, comes in petite and regular sizes, three different colors, and is on sale for less than $90.
- Another perfect dress to get now to be ready for the holidays, this belted lace sheath dress from Ellen Tracy is perennially chic, comes in 4 colors, and the 40% off sale price makes it under $80.
- Make a statement in this plus size Vince Camuto chiffon cape overlay sheath dress. Two fabulous colors, and on sale for a hair over $100.
- This cold-shoulder maxi dress can glam up for the holidays with a sparkly necklace and smoky eye, or be tossed in a suitcase for a tropical getaway, paired with metallic flat sandals and gold hoops. The cold shoulder trend is still popular this fall and winter, and this dress from MYNT 1792 does it in a very elegant way. Plus sizes, three colors, and on sale for a hair over $100.
- This a-line embroidered shift from Adrianna Papell is another wardrobe workhorse that can dress up and down with ease. The back cutout adds interest without being too exposed (and still lets you wear a standard bra!). Dress down with a denim jacket and ankle boots, or glam up for an after-five affair. Plus sizes, on sale for less than $85.
- I’m kinda in love with this plus sized dress from Halogen. Blush pink crocheted lace overlay on a black dress with a removable white collar. This dress is the epitome of desk to drinks, and the faux collar is a popular trend this fall! On sale for less than $85.
- A simple black sheath with a bit of edge. This stretch dress from Vince Camuto is definitely business in the front with a bit of party in the back. The exposed zipper extends the length of dress so you can create a back slit, but the zipper is the same color as the dress so it’s not too wild for the workplace. This dress can dress up and down with ease, comes in two colors, and is on sale for less than $95.
- I owned almost this same dress about a decade ago. The only difference was mine had a plunging neckline that required fashion tape and a special bra and a couple cocktails for confidence. If it had a more classic neckline like this I’d likely still own it. This is another dress from Taylor Dresses that can glam up for an evening event or be dressed down with sandals, and is a wrinkle-free fabric that is begging to go on a vacation or cruise. Plus sizes, on sale for less than $60.
- Va va va voom! This long-sleeved wrap maxi dress from MYNT 1792 (plus sizes only) is so sultry, and as someone who owns dresses of this silhouette, surprisingly versatile. Push up the sleeves, pair with flat sandals and wear to a fall house party. Style with heels and some sparkly chandelier earrings for a wedding, add moto boots and a biker jacket for a night out with the girls, get Studio 54 vibes with large hoops and a tassel necklace… the options are endless! Two fab colors, on sale 40% off.
- This sheath dress from Chelsea28 is classic with a modern twist thanks to the flutter sleeves that add femininity, interest, and some arm coverage. Wear to work with classic pumps, or glam up for an event with a sparkly or pearl necklace and heels. Looks far more expensive than its $91.90 price tag!
- This long-sleeved fit and flare dress from Eliza J is far from boring thanks to a flutter hem, strategic seaming, and its gorgeous pine green color. Wear to work with black tights and boots, on the weekend with a denim jacket and ankle booties, to a holiday party with heels and a statement necklace. On sale for less than $90.
Blouses and Sweaters
Blouses are having a moment, which makes dressing for work that much simpler. But don’t keep those blouses for the 9-5; consider styling them with jeans for a chic weekend look. This fall when it comes to blouses, sweaters, and other tops look for unique details – ruffles, flutter hems, pussy bows, puffed sleeves, lacing, high collars, Victorian details, self belts, and lace or leather detail. While autumnal shades like burgundy and pine green are always on trend this season, don’t be afraid of pastels. Lighter colors are on trend this fall, especially when paired with jewel tones, grey, and other neutrals.
Shop My Picks for Blouses and Sweaters:
- This belted top from Halogen simplifies dressing. Pair with trousers, a pencil skirt, a pair of slim jeans. Wear under a longer blazer or cardigan or on its own. Switch out the self belt for a leather or stretch one in your collection. Two colors, petite and regular sizes, and on sale for less than $40.
- This floral print shell from Ellen Tracy is such a gorgeous print and has the on-trend stand collar. Wear on its own tucked into trousers or a skirt or worn untucked with dark denim for the weekend. Come colder temps, style with a cardigan, blazer, or even under a v-neck sweater. Regular and petite sizes, on sale for less than $50.
- Love the print but not the silhouette? Ellen Tracy also has this floral print in a long sleeved tunic blouse. Regular and petite sizes as well, on sale for less than $55.
- I believe in having a sparkly top in your wardrobe (see my original closet staples from 2005). Pair with dark jeans and heels for a bachelorette party, cigarette pants and pumps for a cocktail affair, a taffeta ball skirt or midi skirt for an evening wedding. This plus size sequin top from Adrianna Papell has a flattering silhouette, comes in two colors, and is on sale 40% off. Also available in standard sizes.
- The bell cuff on this blouse from Pleonie is what makes it. However, it doesn’t hurt that it’s available in two of the hottest colors of the season and on sale for less than $35.
- This plus size shell from Vince Camuto is so versatile. Style with skinny jeans and heels for a night out, tuck it into a skirt or any silhouette, belt it over trousers, wear under a blazer or cardigan. While black is a natural color, consider pairing this pink with burgundy or oxblood for a chic combination for fall. On sale for less than $45. Also available in black.
- Same top from Vince Camuto, same pink, but with short sleeves. Also available in vermilion.
- Pleione makes great blouses and office basics. This crepe v-neck tank comes in eight different colors and prints and is on sale for a hair over $25.
- This cardigan from Bobeau isn’t anything exciting, but that’s what makes it so wonderful. With the shawl collar front, this easily replaces a blazer in more relaxed office settings and is a weekend favorite. Regular and petite sizes, three solids and one stripe available for under $35.
- Similar in concept but far more luxe, this cashmere cardigan from Nordstrom Collection is thick, lofty, and lovely. Available in three colors and on sale 40% off.
- The fringe sweater I bought last winter was a favorite. The texture and detail made it unique, yet it was comfortable. I could dress up with leather leggings or wear on the weekends with jeans. This navy fringe sweater from Rebecca Taylor is similar in concept and 40% off.
- I love the romance of this silk peasant blouse from Elie Tahari. It incorporates so many fall trends yet is so classic. Wear with jeans, a peasant skirt, or even under a jacket for work. On sale 40% off.
- This navy peasant blouse from Sejour has a similar effect to the Elie Tahari blouse, but a bit more relaxed and in plus sizes. Also it’s a lot cheaper!
- Fabulous cashmere from Halogen with a pretty gold zipper detail in back. Three colors, I’m partial to the pale jade which would look so smart with grey, tweed, cognac leather, pine green. Plus sizes only, on sale for less than $90.
- I love this ruffle front blouse from Halogen. It’s a simple piece but the detail on the front keeps it from being boring. Three great colors, if you can carry off the mustard colored one grab it as it’s gorgeous! On sale for less than $40.
Pants and Skirts
The majority of the picks below are classic pieces perfect for the workplace, though a few trendy pieces are added in. Leather is popular almost every fall, but this year suede has returned in a big way. The fitted and structured looks from the past are giving way to more relaxed silhouettes: consider an a-line instead of a pencil, a gathered midi in a soft fabric instead of a stiff and full version, a knit instead of a twill, and the incorporation of gathers, drawstrings, and mixed media.
Shop My Picks for Pants and Skirts:
- Washable work pants? Yes please! These black stretch crepe trousers from Eileen Fisher have a subtle bootcut to flatter a curvy figure. Plus sizes only on sale 40% off.
- While these crepe trousers aren’t washable, they’re a classic ankle length and can dress up with heels and a sparkly blouse, be paired with a matching jacket as a version of a Le Smoking, or worn to work with a blouse and flats. From Elie Tahari, 40% off.
- Get the suede look for fall without the suede price with this faux suede wrap skirt from ASTR. The tan color is so versatile; wear now with chambray and cotton and come fall and winter pair with turtleneck sweaters and long-sleeved blouses. Less than $45.
- These straight leg grey tweed work trousers from Halogen will go with most everything in your wardrobe and complement all the hot fall trends and colors. Regular and petite sizes, on sale for less than $45.
- Does anyone need metallic crop peg trousers? Not really, but these from Topshop are pretty amazing. While it’s still warm, style with a black camisole or silk tank and black leather slides. Come colder weather, pair with a slouchy black sweater or turtleneck and ankle booties. 40% off.
- I wear the HECK out of my faux leather and ponte leggings. They’re so comfortable and look so cool with a tunic blouse, slouchy sweater, or even a plaid flannel. These plus size leggings from Tart come in a wine color that is so chic this season. On sale for less than $90.
- Speaking of faux leather leggings, I own these exact ones from SPANX and love love love them. They’re super stretchy but don’t get thin and don’t bag. The waist is comfortable and they look like real leather. They’re not exactly on clearance, but Nordstrom is price matching so they’re under $100.
- These navy wide leg trousers aren’t too wide, aren’t too dark, and are utterly chic. From Classiques Entier, and 40% off.
- These superfine wool trousers also from Classiques Entier are super fabulous, super elegant, and super chic. Regular and petite sizes, and just a few bucks over $100.
- A leather skirt can make any top or sweater in your wardrobe look luxe. From Breton tees to silk blouses, cashmere crewnecks, to cotton cableknits, they’ll all look chic with this a-line leather skirt from Classiques Entier. Black and burgundy available, regular and petite sizes, on sale 40% off.
This isn't an exhaustive list. I chose to exclude activewear, lingerie, sleepwear, and denim this go-round. Also if items didn't have enough size selection, I chose to not share them. Selection is limited, so don't hesitate if you see something you like. And as always, Nordstrom offers free shipping and free returns, no time limit. Happy shopping!